Problems with currents and phase

In summary: Offhand, I'm not sure; there may be a way via trig identities and/or geometry, but I'd have to give it some thought.
MissP.25_5
I am still trying to solve this but I first, I need someone to explain to me about the sum of the currents, which I don't understand.

The phasor of current I1 is 2+3j[A], and the phasor of current I2 is 1[A].
1) Find the value of impedance Z.
2) Let the phase difference (arg(I3/I4)) between I3 and I4 be θ. Find the value of tan θ.

Ok, firstly, I am told that I1 = I2 + I3. My question is, what happened to I4?

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
I2 will split into I4 and whatever current continues on to the inductor (Maybe call it "I5", so that I2 = I4 + I5). Think of the segment labeled with I2 as a wire that connects to the parallel RL pair.

gneill said:
I2 will split into I4 and whatever current continues on to the inductor (Maybe call it "I5", so that I2 = I4 + I5). Think of the segment labeled with I2 as a wire that connects to the parallel RL pair.

Can you check if I got the impedance right, please?

Attachments

• IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 339
Looks good! Be sure to include the units with the final value.

gneill said:
Looks good! Be sure to include the units with the final value.

Is this considered as a complete answer?

|Z| = (√50)/25 [Ω] , argZ = arctan(-1/7)

MissP.25_5 said:
Is this considered as a complete answer?

|Z| = (√50)/25 [Ω] , argZ = arctan(-1/7)

The magnitude could be further reduced to √2 / 5. There's not much you can do with the arctan unless you resort to using a calculator.

gneill said:
The magnitude could be further reduced to √2 / 5. There's not much you can do with the arctan unless you resort to using a calculator.

So I guess, I could just leave the answer in its complex number form and put the unit Ω.
By the way, in the question it says that phase difference is arg(I3/I4), is it the same as arg(I3)-arg(I4)? I calculated both ways and got different answers, so it means they are different?

Last edited:
MissP.25_5 said:
So I guess, I could just leave the answer in its complex number form and put the unit Ω.
By the way, in the question it says that phase difference is arg(I3/I4), is it the same as arg(I3)-arg(I4)? I calculated both ways and got different answers, so it means they are different?
The result should be the same. In polar form, when dividing one value by another you subtract the denominator's angle from the numerator's angle (and when you multiply, you add the angles).

Here is my solution, can you check please?

Attachments

• IMG_4378.jpg
    IMG_4378.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 355
gneill said:
The result should be the same. In polar form, when dividing one value by another you subtract the denominator's angle from the numerator's angle (and when you multiply, you add the angles).

Oh, so it is like logarithm?

In your final line, if you take the arctan of both sides of the line above you should find that tan(θ) = 1/7. Otherwise, looks fine.

gneill said:
In your final line, if you take the arctan of both sides of the line above you should find that tan(θ) = 1/7. Otherwise, looks fine.

Oh yes, I got it:) Ok, so I tried to calculate argI3-argI4 and got tan^-1(3)-tan^-1(2). Is there a way to calculate that without calculator?

MissP.25_5 said:
Oh, so it is like logarithm?
I suppose that it's similar, at least in a procedural way.

gneill said:
I suppose that it's similar, at least in a procedural way.

Yes, I meant the procedure. So question 2 is solved, then! Thanks again. I just posted a new question, hope you could help me out.

MissP.25_5 said:
Oh yes, I got it:) Ok, so I tried to calculate argI3-argI4 and got tan^-1(3)-tan^-1(2). Is there a way to calculate that without calculator?

Offhand, I'm not sure; there may be a way via trig identities and/or geometry, but I'd have to give it some thought. Being essentially lazy, I tend to reach for a calculator :smile:

1. What is the difference between AC and DC currents?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electrical currents. The main difference between them is the direction in which they flow. AC current alternates direction at a fixed frequency, while DC current flows in a single direction.

2. How can phase angle affect current in a circuit?

Phase angle refers to the relationship between two alternating currents. When two currents are in phase, they reach their peaks and valleys at the same time, resulting in a stronger combined current. When they are out of phase, they cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker combined current.

3. What causes problems with current and phase in electrical systems?

Problems with current and phase can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty wiring, incorrect connections, and imbalances in the electrical load. These issues can lead to power outages, equipment malfunctions, and potential safety hazards.

4. How can I troubleshoot current and phase problems in a circuit?

The first step in troubleshooting current and phase issues is to check all connections and wiring for any signs of damage or incorrect configuration. Using a multimeter, you can also measure the voltage and phase angles at different points in the circuit to identify any imbalances or inconsistencies.

5. What are some ways to mitigate problems with currents and phase in electrical systems?

Proper installation and maintenance of electrical systems is crucial in mitigating problems with currents and phase. This includes ensuring correct wiring and connections, regularly checking for any issues, and balancing the electrical load. Additionally, using protective devices such as surge suppressors and voltage regulators can help prevent problems with currents and phase.