Problems with finding angles with different signs

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, to find all angles that are greater than 90 in a general case with an attack angle, you can add 90 degrees to all the angles. This will ensure that the angles to the right of the blue line and to the right of the red line are found, as well as those above the green line and to the left of the red line. An excel file and .m file for slope and angle calculations are included in the zipped files provided.
roldy
I need to find all angles that are greater than 90. To be more precise I need to find the entries that are to the right of the blue line and to the right of the red line. I tried using the the find command in MATLAB to find certain indices but realized that the angle signs change. The blue and red lines are points on the curve where the angle is zero. The point of zero angle is not known. The reason for this is that I need this to work for a general case, meaning that I want to factor in an attack angle. This means that the green line will not be horizontal. I've included a picture of the shape of the vehicle and a close up of the top and bottom of the curve. I have also included an excel file with the angles as well as the .m file for the slope and angle calculation. Also, the green line is located at x=0.

all files are zipped here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d5tcj7dceq54fwi

right of blue line: negative
left of blue line to above green line: positive
bottom of green line to left of red line: negative
right of red line: positiveshould I just add 90 degrees to the angles so that the angle the green line makes with the tangent of the curve is 90. This has to be for a general attack angle also. Meaning that the green line is not horizontal.

Attachments

• thetaSdeg.xls
    30.5 KB · Views: 204
  • angles.m
    5.6 KB · Views: 371
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can add 90 degrees to all the angles so that the angle the green line makes with the tangent of the curve is 90. This should work for any attack angle. For example, if the angle of the green line is -30 degrees, you should add 120 degrees to all the angles (90 + (-30)). This will ensure that the angles you find are greater than 90.

What are the common types of angles?

The most common types of angles are acute, right, obtuse, and straight angles.

What is the difficulty in finding angles with different signs?

The difficulty in finding angles with different signs is that they are not easily identifiable using traditional angle measuring tools such as protractors. These angles require a deeper understanding of trigonometric concepts and calculations.

How can I determine the measure of an angle with different signs?

To determine the measure of an angle with different signs, you can use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions use ratios of sides of a triangle to calculate the measure of an angle.

Why is it important to be able to find angles with different signs?

Being able to find angles with different signs is important in various fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows for the accurate measurement and calculation of angles in different scenarios.

What are some strategies for finding angles with different signs?

Some strategies for finding angles with different signs include using trigonometric functions, drawing diagrams and labeling sides and angles, and breaking down the angle into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to understand the relationships between angles and sides in different shapes and scenarios.