PRoblems with precalc functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on how to identify the point of increase and decrease, domain and range for a given function. The speaker is able to find the vertex of the function but is unsure how to proceed for the other information. Another person provides guidance and the conversation ends with a request for help on a different topic.
crazy_shoes
I'm trying to find where this function increases and decreases:

f(x) = = - x^2 - 6x - 8

I can get the vertex (h, k), which works out [by my math] to be (3, -17).

I'm just not sure where to go from here to get information like:
point of increase and decrease
domain and range

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the vertex, I get (-3,1), using the formula for h=-b/(2a). The vertex is where it switches from increasing to decreasing or from decreasing to increasing. The leading coefficient tells you which of these two cases it actually is...

Aaah... I see what I did wrong, I simply forgot that a=-1, I was thinking a=1.

When I set a to -1 instead of 1 it all works out! Thanks!

hi,
i need help finding 2 solutions to an equation. cos(theta) = 1/(sq.root of 2)
thanks !

Ramzi said:
hi,
i need help finding 2 solutions to an equation. cos(theta) = 1/(sq.root of 2)
thanks !

It's considered bad form to "hijack" an existing thread with a new question.

You should start a new thread.

im sorry ! its my first time using forums and all that stuff. my bad, but can anyone help me ?

Related to PRoblems with precalc functions

1. What are some common problems with precalculus functions?

Some common problems with precalculus functions include difficulty understanding the concept of functions and their properties, confusion with graphing and transformations, trouble with solving complex equations, and challenges with applying functions in real-world situations.

2. How can I improve my understanding of precalculus functions?

To improve your understanding of precalculus functions, it is important to practice regularly and seek additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and tutoring. It may also be helpful to break down complex concepts and work through examples step by step.

3. Why is it important to learn precalculus functions?

Precalculus functions are the foundation for more advanced math courses such as calculus and are essential for a variety of fields including science, engineering, and economics. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with precalculus functions?

If you are struggling with precalculus functions, do not hesitate to seek help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor. It may also be beneficial to review previous math concepts that are necessary for understanding functions.

5. How can I apply precalculus functions in real life?

Precalculus functions have many real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and analyzing financial data. They can also be used to solve everyday problems, such as determining the best deals while shopping or calculating the time it takes to travel a certain distance.