Product of a delta function and functions of its arguments

In summary, the conversation discusses the identity of the Dirac delta function and whether it holds for arbitrary functions f and g. The attempt at a solution shows that the identity appears to be correct, but WolframAlpha gives a false answer for a specific special case. However, it is noted that the operators produced by the four expressions in question are equal in the generalized-function sense when applied to any test function. It is also mentioned that the independence of the variables x and x' is important in determining the validity of the identity. It is then questioned whether simply showing that the functions give the same result for all possible test functions is sufficient to prove their equality.
ELB27

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine whether
$$f(x)g(x')\delta (x-x') = f(x)g(x)\delta (x-x') = f(x')g(x')\delta(x-x')$$
where [itex]\delta(x-x')[/itex] is the Dirac delta function and [itex] f,g[/itex] are some arbitrary (reasonably nice?) functions.

Homework Equations

The defining equation of a delta function:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-x')f(x')dx' = f(x)$$
(I'm supposing [itex]x'[/itex] is the variable of integration, but it shouldn't matter I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

It appears that from the integral definition of the delta function,
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)g(x')\delta (x-x') h(x')dx' = f(x)g(x)h(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)g(x)\delta (x-x') h(x')dx' = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x')g(x')\delta (x-x') h(x')dx'$$
for all [itex]h(x)[/itex]. Thus, the above identity appears to be correct. However, when I ask WolframAlpha a special case of this question, the answer is that the identity is false. How can I determine which it is?

Any comments/suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have an answer, but if you replace ##y## with any concrete number, then the equality becomes correct. So wolfram is interpreting ##y## as a variable, while in your proof you treat it as a constant.

Likes ELB27
Can someone give a counterexample ?

ELB27 said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine whether
$$f(x)g(x')\delta (x-x') = f(x)g(x)\delta (x-x') = f(x')g(x')\delta(x-x')$$
where [itex]\delta(x-x')[/itex] is the Dirac delta function and [itex] f,g[/itex] are some arbitrary (reasonably nice?) functions.

Homework Equations

The defining equation of a delta function:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x-x')f(x')dx' = f(x)$$
(I'm supposing [itex]x'[/itex] is the variable of integration, but it shouldn't matter I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

It appears that from the integral definition of the delta function,
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)g(x')\delta (x-x') h(x')dx' = f(x)g(x)h(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)g(x)\delta (x-x') h(x')dx' = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x')g(x')\delta (x-x') h(x')dx'$$
for all [itex]h(x)[/itex]. Thus, the above identity appears to be correct. However, when I ask WolframAlpha a special case of this question, the answer is that the identity is false. How can I determine which it is?

Any comments/suggestions would be highly appreciated!

For which special case did WolframAlpha say it is false? AFIK what you wrote is true, at least if ##f## and ##g## are "nice" functions.

If we understand that ##x'## is the integration variable, then the four operators
[tex] L_1 = f(x') g(x) \delta(x'-x)\\
L_2 = f(x) g(x') \delta(x'-x)\\
L_3 = f(x')g(x') \delta(x'-x)\\
L_4= f(x) g(x) \delta(x'-x)
[/tex]
produce the same result when applied to any test function ##h(x')##, so in the generalized-function sense we have ##L_1 = L_2 = L_3=L_4##.

I think it is important that ##x'## and ##x## are "independent"; if they somehow vary together (for example, if ##x = \phi(x')##) then, of course, everything can change.

Likes ELB27 and BvU
Ray Vickson said:
For which special case did WolframAlpha say it is false? AFIK what you wrote is true, at least if ##f## and ##g## are "nice" functions.

If we understand that ##x'## is the integration variable, then the four operators
[tex] L_1 = f(x') g(x) \delta(x'-x)\\
L_2 = f(x) g(x') \delta(x'-x)\\
L_3 = f(x')g(x') \delta(x'-x)\\
L_4= f(x) g(x) \delta(x'-x)
[/tex]
produce the same result when applied to any test function ##h(x')##, so in the generalized-function sense we have ##L_1 = L_2 = L_3=L_4##.

I think it is important that ##x'## and ##x## are "independent"; if they somehow vary together (for example, if ##x = \phi(x')##) then, of course, everything can change.
Thanks! I indeed meant that ##x## and ##x'## are independent. The special case I entered into WolframAlpha is ##xy\delta (x-y) \overset{?}{=} x^2\delta (x-y)## to which it returned false. Following micromass' comment, I entered ##y=5## and it returned true as an "alternate form" while still answering false as the main answer. Apparently something's wrong with WolframAlpha itself then.

Thanks again!

EDIT: As a follow up: To prove some equality of generalized functions, is it sufficient to simply show as above that they give the same result for all possible test functions? In other words, can such functions be distinguished in any way without considering their action on a test function?

Related to Product of a delta function and functions of its arguments

What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted by the symbol δ, is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. It is often used to represent a point source of a quantity.

What does it mean to take the product of a delta function and a function of its arguments?

Taking the product of a delta function and a function of its arguments means multiplying the value of the function at the point where the delta function is non-zero by the value of the delta function at that point.

What is the result of multiplying a delta function with a constant?

If the constant is non-zero, the result is a scaled version of the original delta function. If the constant is zero, the result is simply zero everywhere.

Can a delta function be integrated with other functions of its arguments?

Yes, a delta function can be integrated with other functions of its arguments. This is known as the convolution of the delta function and the other function. The result is a new function that captures the combined effects of both functions.

How is a delta function related to the Dirac delta function?

The delta function is a generalized version of the Dirac delta function, which is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin where it is infinite. The Dirac delta function is often used in physics and engineering to model point sources of force or charge.