Product of convergent infinite series converges?

In summary, the product of two convergent infinite series a_n*b_n does not converge to the sum of the individual terms a_n and b_n.
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

Given two convergent infinite series such that \sum a_n -> L and \sum b_n -> M, determine if the product a_n*b_n converges to L*M.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If know that if a_n -> L this means that the sequence of partial sums of a_n = s_n converges to L. Similarly for the sequence of partial sums of b_n = t_n converges to M. I am not sure how to multiply these two sequences of partial sums.

Physics news on Phys.org
A_n = a_0 + a_1 + ... + a_n
B_n = b_0 + b_1 + ... + b_n

(A_n)(B_n) = (a_0 + a_1 + ... + a_n) (b_0 + b_1 + ... + b_n)
= sum of i=0 to n (inner sum of j = 0 to n) a_i b_j

Sorry I don't know how to use latex on this forum.
Does that help with multiplying the sequences?

so for example A_1 * B_1 = (a_0 + a_1) ( b_0 + b_1) = a_0b_0 + a_0b1 + a_1b_0 + a_1b_1

OK, that makes sense. Unfortunately, I still have no idea how to start this proof. I know that I have to do an epsilon proof that the limit is L*M, but it seems like I am going to need something more than that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'll throw my idea at you=)

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k \mbox{\Rightarrow\ \forall\ \epsilon>0\ \exists\ N_1>0\ so\ \forall\ m>n>N_1, } |\sum_{k=n+1}^{m} a_k|< \epsilon \mbox{ and } |\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty b_k \mbox{\Rightarrow\ \forall\ \epsilon>0\ \exists\ N_2>0\ so\ \forall\ m>n>N_2, } |\sum_{k=n+1}^{m} b_k|< \epsilon \mbox{ and } |\sum_{k=0}^\infty b_k-M|<\epsilon[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{So if I'm right, after } N> \max \{N_1, N_2\} \mbox{ good things should happen. =) } [/tex]

But if I have a geometric series, say \sum (1/2^n) - > 2 and another geometric series, say \sum (3/5)^n -> 5/2. Now say I multiply these two series giving \sum ((3/10)^n). The product of the series converges, but it converges to 10/7 which is different from 2(5/2), so the conjecture cannot be proved. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a product of convergent infinite series?

A product of convergent infinite series refers to the result obtained by multiplying together the terms of two or more infinite series that converge (i.e. have a finite limit). It is a mathematical concept used in calculus and analysis.

2. How do you determine if a product of convergent infinite series converges?

To determine if a product of convergent infinite series converges, you can use the Cauchy product theorem. This states that if the two individual series converge absolutely (i.e. the sum of the absolute values converges), then the product of the series will also converge.

3. What is the importance of the convergence of a product of infinite series?

The convergence of a product of infinite series is important in many areas of mathematics, including power series, complex analysis, and Fourier series. It allows us to manipulate and analyze these series with ease, as well as make important conclusions about their behavior.

4. Can a product of convergent infinite series diverge?

Yes, it is possible for a product of convergent infinite series to diverge. This can occur if the individual series do not converge absolutely, or if the product does not satisfy the conditions of the Cauchy product theorem.

5. Are there any real-life applications of a product of convergent infinite series?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of a product of convergent infinite series. One example is in finance, where geometric series (a type of infinite series) are used to calculate compound interest. Another example is in physics, where infinite series are used to model and analyze continuous systems such as electric circuits.