Product of Two Terms: Determinant Evaluation and Vanishing Values in Terms of p

In summary, the conversation was about evaluating a determinant as a product of two terms and finding the values of x for which it vanishes in terms of p. The correct solution was given as x(x-p)^2=0, resulting in x=0 or x=p. The person also mentioned having trouble with using LaTeX properly.
Nylex
Hi, I' not sure if I've done this question correctly so I just want someone to tell me where I've gone wrong (if I have).

Evaluate the following determinant as a product of two terms. Hence find, in terms of p the values of x for which it vanishes.

Grr, I can't seem to use LaTeX properly so I'll just "draw" the determinant:

x x 0
0 x p
-2x -p x

[tex]= x \left\vert \begin{array}{cc} x & p\\-p & x \end{array}\right\vert - x \left\vert \begin{array}{cc} 0 & p\\-2x & x \end{array}\right\vert[/tex]

= x(x^2 + p^2) - x(2xp)
=x^3 + p^2.x - 2x^2.p
- x(x^2 - 2px + p^2) = 0

x = {-(-2p) +- [(-2p)^2 - 4.1.p^2]^1/2}/2

x = [2p +- (4p^2 - 4p^2)^1/2]/2

x = p

It doesn't look right to me :/.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nylex said:
Hi, I' not sure if I've done this question correctly so I just want someone to tell me where I've gone wrong (if I have).

Evaluate the following determinant as a product of two terms. Hence find, in terms of p the values of x for which it vanishes.

Grr, I can't seem to use LaTeX properly so I'll just "draw" the determinant:

x x 0
0 x p
-2x -p x

[tex]= x \left\vert \begin{array}{cc} x & p\\-p & x \end{array}\right\vert - x \left\vert \begin{array}{cc} 0 & p\\-2x & x \end{array}\right\vert[/tex]

= x(x^2 + p^2) - x(2xp)
=x^3 + p^2.x - 2x^2.p
- x(x^2 - 2px + p^2) = 0

x = {-(-2p) +- [(-2p)^2 - 4.1.p^2]^1/2}/2

x = [2p +- (4p^2 - 4p^2)^1/2]/2

x = p

It doesn't look right to me :/.
This is correct x(x-p)^2=0
==>x=0 or x=p

poolwin2001 said:
This is correct x(x-p)^2=0
==>x=0 or x=p

LOL, can't believe I didn't see that :redface:. Thanks a lot :smile:.

Related to Product of Two Terms: Determinant Evaluation and Vanishing Values in Terms of p

What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that is calculated from a square matrix. It is used to determine various properties of the matrix, such as whether it has an inverse or whether it is singular.

How do you calculate a determinant?

The most common way to calculate a determinant is by using the "Laplace expansion" method, which involves breaking the matrix into smaller matrices and performing calculations on them. Another method is using the "Gaussian elimination" method, which involves transforming the matrix into a triangular form and then multiplying the main diagonal elements to get the determinant.

What is the significance of determinants in linear algebra?

Determinants are used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and determine whether a matrix is singular or nonsingular. They also play a crucial role in calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some real-life applications of determinants?

Determinants have practical applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, cryptography, and economics. They are used to solve systems of equations in engineering problems, analyze data in statistics, and model population growth in biology.

Can determinants be negative?

Yes, determinants can be negative. The sign of a determinant depends on the number of row swaps or column swaps required to put the matrix in its triangular form. If there are an odd number of swaps, the determinant will be negative; otherwise, it will be positive.