Mastering the Product Rule: Solving Problems with Ease | Homework Statement

In summary: I recognize the difference between the two I'm just making note of how my teacher has described the rule in class. If you analyze the term "product rule" using the socratic method one may deduce that a term can never truly be perfect. Perhaps this could be called a product rule of integrals, since it does involve product rules.
OmniNewton
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

7ba031cc28ef8d4157ac40ec1b6faf93.png

Homework Equations

The product rule formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to solve 45/50 product rule but I can't seem to solve these ones. Apparently you use product rule to solve these.

Physics news on Phys.org
OmniNewton said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I managed to solve 45/50 product rule but I can't seem to solve these ones. Apparently you use product rule to solve these.
These look like integration problems. The "product rule" refers to finding the derivative of the product of two or more functions.

You can use the product rule on each answer to find f(x), but to go the other way, either u-substitution or integration by parts will probably be required.

Still, you'll have to show your attempts at solving these problems in order to get help.

OmniNewton said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

From those answers, it's clear that you're finding the anti-derivative of f(x).

Consider the first problem. Rewrite the given function.
##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x-1-x\ln x }{x(x-1)^2 } \ ##
##\displaystyle =\frac{x-1 }{x(x-1)^2 } - \frac{x\ln x }{x(x-1)^2 } \ ##
##\displaystyle =\frac{1}{x}(x-1)^{-1} - (x-1)^{-2}\ln x \ ##​

Apply the product rule in reverse.

At the University I go to Integration by parts is also known as the product rule, even if that terminology is not correct this is what I am use to for naming convention. Thank you for the help with that problem. The problem I'd like to tackle next is the second problem.

Here is my solution:
∫ ln(lnx) + 1/(lnx)^2
Obtain a common denominator:
∫ (ln(lnx)(lnx)^2)/(lnx)^2+ 1/(lnx)^2

Unsatisfactory solution:

Attempt a u substitution

let u = lnx
du = 1/x dx

no 1/x present therefore not satisfactory.

Looking for suggestions.

Thank You!

PS. How does one use the built in equation editor on this website. I've been looking for a while

OmniNewton said:
PS. How does one use the built in equation editor on this website. I've been looking for a while
You can get some symbols and Greek letters by hitting the big ∑ sign in the blue toolbar across the top of the edit box. These are used for simple expressions.

For more complex equation editing, PF uses Latex, a guide to which can be found by hitting the LaTeX/BBcode Guides button at the lower left hand corner of the edit box.

OmniNewton said:
At the University I go to Integration by parts is also known as the product rule, even if that terminology is not correct this is what I am use to for naming convention. Thank you for the help with that problem. The problem I'd like to tackle next is the second problem.

Here is my solution:
∫ ln(lnx) + 1/(lnx)^2
Obtain a common denominator:
∫ (ln(lnx)(lnx)^2)/(lnx)^2+ 1/(lnx)^2

Unsatisfactory solution:

Attempt a u substitution

let u = lnx
du = 1/x dx

no 1/x present therefore not satisfactory.

Looking for suggestions.

Thank You!
Your u-substitution did not go correctly because you overlooked the fact that you also have a ln(ln x) term in your integral.

If you let u = ln x, what does ln(ln x) become?

SteamKing said:
Your u-substitution did not go correctly because you overlooked the fact that you also have a ln(ln x) term in your integral.

If you let u = ln x, what does ln(ln x) become?

this becomes ln(u) however how does dx become du?

OmniNewton said:
this becomes ln(u) however how does dx become du?
If u = ln (x), what would you do to this equation to obtain x by itself?

x = 10^u but I do not see the benefit to such a manipulation?

SteamKing said:
If u = ln (x), what would you do to this equation to obtain x by itself?

OmniNewton said:
x = 10^u but I do not see the benefit to such a manipulation?
No, that's not correct. The inverse of the natural log function (ln(x)) is the natural exponential function, ex, not 10x.

Integration by parts is using the product rule in reverse, but the term "product rule" is pretty much universally used to describe a differentiation rule. I.e., ##\frac {d}{dx} (fg(x)) = f(x) * g'(x) + f'(x) * g(x)##.

Mark44 said:
No, that's not correct. The inverse of the natural log function (ln(x)) is the natural exponential function, ex, not 10x.

Integration by parts is using the product rule in reverse, but the term "product rule" is pretty much universally used to describe a differentiation rule. I.e., ##\frac {d}{dx} (fg(x)) = f(x) * g'(x) + f'(x) * g(x)##.

I recognize the difference between the two I'm just making note of how my teacher has described the rule in class. If you analyze the term "product rule" using the socratic method one may deduce that a term can never truly be perfect. Perhaps this could be called a product rule of integrals, since it does involve product rules.

Edit: I suppose arguing about a definition is beyond the point of this post. Furthermore I will transfer some of my attempts to the solution section.

Also even if x = e^u I still do not see the benefit to such a approach. Is it possible to get some more information?
OmniNewton

OmniNewton said:
Also even if x = e^u I still do not see the benefit to such a approach. Is it possible to get some more information?
OmniNewton

Not until you've gone further in your solution attempts than you have shown so far.

You haven't even written the complete, original integral out using the substitution u = ln(x).

SteamKing said:
Not until you've gone further in your solution attempts than you have shown so far.

You haven't even written the complete, original integral out using the substitution u = ln(x).

I'm sorry I don't understand how you guys use substitutions on these forums. Strangely whenever I ask about these it seems that you guys will try to integrate without changing dx to du. How can I integrate if not all variables are u and we are not integrating with respect to u. For example, if you have ∫x^2cos(x^5) dx one cannot simply say let u = x^2 so ∫ucos(u^3) dx One cannot integrate unless dx is changed to du correct?

OmniNewton said:
I'm sorry I don't understand how you guys use substitutions on these forums. Strangely whenever I ask about these it seems that you guys will try to integrate without changing dx to du. How can I integrate if not all variables are u and we are not integrating with respect to u. For example, if you have ∫x^2cos(x^5) dx one cannot simply say let u = x^2 so ∫ucos(u^3) dx One cannot integrate unless dx is changed to du correct?
If you make a substitution of u = x2, then du = 2x dx by the chain rule.

A substitution of u = x2 may not be the best one for the particular integral in your example.

This link gives a good explanation of the mechanics of u-substitution:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/SubstitutionRuleIndefinite.aspx

OmniNewton said:
I recognize the difference between the two I'm just making note of how my teacher has described the rule in class. If you analyze the term "product rule" using the socratic method one may deduce that a term can never truly be perfect.
The term "product rule" in the context of a course in calculus is widely understood to refer to the product rule in differentiation.

Regarding "using the socratic method one may deduce that a term can never truly be perfect." -- language often doesn't work this way. Langauge expressions can have meanings that are commonly understood, that are different from literal meanings of the words in the expression. Parsing a simple expression such as "good bye" using the Socratic method doesn't get you very far.

OmniNewton said:
Correct. If ##u = x^2## then ##du = 2xdx##, or ##dx = (1/2)\frac {du}{x}##. But ##\int x^2 \cos(x^5)dx \ne \int u \cos(u^3)du##. Using this substitution, ##x^5## does not become ##u^3##. And there's also the matter of dx changing to du.

Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding however, I was told u-substitution only works if a factor is the derivative of what you are substituting. I do not see this in the context of my original problem

OmniNewton said:
Sorry maybe I'm misunderstanding however, I was told u-substitution only works if a factor is the derivative of what you are substituting. I do not see this in the context of my original problem
Some substitutions are easy to see, others are not so obvious. You often don't know if a particular substitution works until you grind out the algebra and hit a wall.

let u = lnx
du = 1/x dx
∫ ln(u) + 1/(u)^2 dx

see from this point I do not understand where to go? As I still have the dx

OmniNewton said:
let u = lnx
du = 1/x dx
∫ ln(u) + 1/(u)^2 dx

see from this point I do not understand where to go? As I still have the dx
But you are also ignoring the transformation eu = x.

SteamKing said:
But you are also ignoring the transformation eu = x.
Sorry I don't want you to think I'm not putting the effort in but I honestly have no idea how to apply this "transformation"

OmniNewton said:
Sorry I don't want you to think I'm not putting the effort in but I honestly have no idea how to apply this "transformation"

What happens if you take the transformation and differentiate both sides?

SteamKing said:
What happens if you take the transformation and differentiate both sides?
Oh I see your point I didn't know that you could do this. So e^u = dx.

Thank you

I'll work this out tomorrow as it is very late but I didn't want to rest until I figured out an approach.

OmniNewton said:
Oh I see your point I didn't know that you could do this. So e^u = dx.

Not quite. You are missing the du on the LHS of this equation.

1. What is the product rule?

The product rule is a mathematical rule used when differentiating a function that is the product of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. How do I know when to use the product rule?

You should use the product rule when you have a function that is the product of two or more functions. For example, if you have a function f(x) = x^2 * sin(x), you would use the product rule to find the derivative.

3. Can you provide an example of using the product rule?

Sure, let's use the function f(x) = x^2 * sin(x). The derivative of this function would be f'(x) = (x^2)' * sin(x) + x^2 * (sin(x))'. Simplifying, we get f'(x) = 2x * sin(x) + x^2 * cos(x).

4. What are some common mistakes when using the product rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the product rule and instead using the power rule. Another mistake is not distributing the derivative correctly, resulting in an incorrect answer.

5. Are there any tips for mastering the product rule?

Practice is key when mastering the product rule. It's also important to be comfortable with the basic rules of differentiation and to carefully follow the steps of the product rule formula. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and then combine them using the product rule.