Professional debates about Spacetime

In summary: Copenhagen = Minkowskiinterpretation (where Hilbert space and spacetime are just mathematical tool and subjective).Do you have a reference for this "Minkowski original view" you are describing? Minkowski himself said spacetime was real as soon as he came up with the concept. As far as I know nobody has ever proposed an interpretation of relativity where "spacetime" was just a calculational tool, much less where...
lucas_ said:
I wasn't asking what interpretation emergent (or fundamental) time or emergent (or fundamental) space fall under in quantum mechanics but in relativistic interpretation like Minimalist, LET or Block Universe.

Quantum gravity has nothing to do with interpretations of relativity either.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
Quantum gravity has nothing to do with interpretations of relativity either.

Smolin was NOT talking about quantum gravity. Just that time may be fundamental and space emergent. So must it be applied to minimalist where spacetime geometry cause observations, or LET or Block Universe. I can't fit it to any.

lucas_ said:
Smolin was NOT talking about quantum gravity. Just that time may be fundamental and space emergent.

Which is purely speculation on his part, for the purpose of helping him decide where to focus his theoretical efforts. It is not a theory.

lucas_ said:
So must it be applied to minimalist where spacetime geometry cause observations, or LET or Block Universe. I can't fit it to any.

You'll have to ask Smolin. It's his speculation.

PeterDonis said:
Which is purely speculation on his part, for the purpose of helping him decide where to focus his theoretical efforts. It is not a theory.
You'll have to ask Smolin. It's his speculation.

This is his context (I don't think he would reply to my email and I don't know his email):

"
The combination of a fundamental time and an emergent space implies that there may be a fundamental simultaneity. At a deeper level, in which space disappears but time persists, a universal meaning can be given to the concept of now. If time is more fundamental than space, then during the primordial stage, in which space is dissolved into a network of relations, time is global and universal. Relationalism, in the form in which time is real and space is emergent, is the resolution of the conflict between realism and relativity."

I just want to know whether to use minimalist, LET or block universe as frame of reference to understand it. In minimalist where geometry creates observations. It is agnostic whether time or space is fundamental or emergent or does minimalist interpretation use both emergent time and space? in LET and block universe, both time and space are fundamental or emergent. Or better yet.

In each of of the following. Is time emergent or fundamental, how about space?

1. Minimalist time is ( )emergent or ( )fundamental
space is ( )emergent or ( ) fundamental

1. LET time is ( )emergent or ( )fundamental

3. Block Univ. time is ( )emergent or ( )fundamental

Please check the blanks whichever applies.

Thank you.

lucas_ said:
In each of of the following. Is time emergent or fundamental, how about space?

I guess I didn't make myself clear. This is Smolin's speculation, so nobody else except Smolin could possibly answer your questions.

And therefore there is no point in continuing this thread, and it is closed.

Likes vanhees71, Dale and hutchphd