Program that drives my scanner had bits missing

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem with the scanner's program that was resolved with the help of Russ, Zantra, and Greg. The issue was caused by missing bits in the program, despite the user's precautions of only downloading from the internet and saving certain items to their documents. Reinstalling the program from scratch was recommended and ultimately fixed the problem, resulting in a better overall performance of the computer. The conversation also touched on the importance of regular maintenance, such as running scandisk and defrag, to prevent similar issues in the future.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
i had a
problem earlier that russ,zantra and greg helped me out of,
basicaly the program that drives my scanner had bits missing,
as i NEVER load anything on my computer, apart from the os or download
from the net, apart from saving certain
items to MY DOCUMENTS, how can this happen? my computer is only used for the net, no games, just occasional printing and scanning
as advised i reinstaled from scratch now everything works,thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
With an instrument as delicate as a PC, many things can go wrong even if you take precautionary steps.

If your power goes out, your system losing power can cause data errors on the harddrive, which can cause data loss like you seem to have seen.

Good ways to try and fix problems stemming from things like this is to be sure and run scandisk and defrag your drive every 2 weeks or so.

Sometimes tho, reinstalling is the only way. Plus you get that nice, clean computer feel...everything is quick, programs start fast, stuff isn't cluttered...ahhhhh.

It's great to hear that you were able to get your scanner working again with the help of Russ, Zantra, and Greg. It's unfortunate that the program that drives your scanner had missing bits, but it's not uncommon for software to have glitches or errors. It's possible that the missing bits were caused by a software update or a conflict with another program. However, it's great that you were able to resolve the issue by reinstalling the program from scratch. It's always a good idea to regularly update and maintain your computer to ensure that all of your programs are functioning properly. Keep up the good work and happy scanning!

1. Why is my scanner not working properly?

There could be several reasons why your scanner is not working properly. One common reason is that the program that drives your scanner may have missing bits of code, causing it to malfunction. Other potential causes include outdated drivers, hardware issues, or connection problems.

2. How do I fix the missing bits in the program that drives my scanner?

The first step to fixing missing bits in the program is to make sure that you have the latest version of the software. You can check for updates on the manufacturer's website. If updating the program does not solve the issue, you may need to reinstall the program or contact technical support for assistance.

3. Can a virus cause missing bits in the program that drives my scanner?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can corrupt or delete files, including those in the program that drives your scanner. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and to have a good antivirus program installed to prevent these issues.

4. Is it possible to recover the missing bits in the program that drives my scanner?

It depends on the cause of the missing bits. If it is due to a software issue, such as a corrupted file, it may be possible to recover the missing bits by reinstalling the program or restoring from a backup. If it is a hardware issue, such as a malfunctioning scanner, it may be necessary to replace the device.

5. How can I prevent missing bits in the program that drives my scanner in the future?

To prevent missing bits in the program, it is important to regularly update the software and drivers for your scanner. It is also a good idea to have a backup of the program and any important files in case of any issues. It is also important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware to prevent potential damage to your programs and files.