Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Project: particle accelerator

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    Hi!

I'm interested in building a particle accelerator... maybe a linear accelerator or a cyclotron.

What do you suggest as a starting project? The linear accelerator or the cyclotron?

About the linear accelerator, is it suitable only for electrons? Is it possible to build a small (and affordable) linear accelerator capable of accelerating heavier charged particles?

And about the cyclotron... is it too expensive and complex as a first accelerator project? What would be the cost of a small cyclotron?

I'd like to contact other accelerator enthusiasts who could help me.

Thank you :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Building an accelerator is dangerous. It's clear from your message that you don't know enough to build one successfully or safely. I'd recommend another project.

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3
    Hello, I agree with Vanadium 50.
    However, old CRT televisions do accelerate electrons so they are infact linear electron accelerators. For the record: a linear accelerator would be far far easier to make.

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    I'm aware that it is complex and dangerous... I've worked with a Van de Graaff accelerator before to perform some RBS studies when attending to a Nuclear Safety course.

I have no technical knowledge to build an affordable accelerator. That is why I'm asking for help.

6. Dec 27, 2011 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As explained, we do not give advice on dangerous projects here at the PF. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook