Projectile Distance: Earth vs. Moon

In summary, the question is about the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile on Earth compared to the moon. While gravity affects the maximum height and time, it also affects the horizontal displacement. The equations for calculating the initial velocity on Earth and the moon are Vxoearth=x√(g/2y) and Vxomoon=x√((1/6)g/2y) respectively. Using the same x value for both calculations would result in different initial velocities due to the different values of gravity on Earth and the moon.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Would the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile on Earth be the same as one on the moon? I feel like the distances would be different, but when I was calculating the initial velocity of the projectile on the moon I used the same x value(distance) that I did for earth. Wouldn't gravity have an affect on the distance traveled?

Homework Equations

Vxoearth=x√(g/2y)
Vxomoon=x√((1/6)g/2y)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It would. Gravity affects the maximum height that an object can go, hence it affects time as well, and time affects the horizontal displacement. Can you please show your calculations?

Height: y=14.1cm=0.141 m
Distance: x=31.3 cm= 0.313 m

Vxoearth=(0.313)*√(9.8/2*0.141)=0.19 m/s

Vxomoon=(0.313)*√(1/6*9.8/2*0.141)= 0.745 m/s

But what's confusing me is the way they worded the question. They told me to use my x measurement and y height from the experiment when calculating the initial velocity for the moon. Then they ask if the x values measured on the moon would be the same as the x values measured on earth. Why would they tell me to use the same x value if they would be different?

As always, please follow the HW template when posting to these forums. We can't judge the wording of the problem if you don't provide it verbatim.

Sorry, I'm still kind of new to this forum. But I think I figured out what the question meant. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the distance between Earth and the Moon?

The average distance between Earth and the Moon is approximately 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers).

2. How long does it take for a projectile to travel from Earth to the Moon?

The time it takes for a projectile to travel from Earth to the Moon depends on the speed of the projectile. On average, it takes about 3 days for a spacecraft to reach the Moon.

3. What factors affect the distance a projectile can travel from Earth to the Moon?

The distance a projectile can travel from Earth to the Moon is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, and the gravitational pull of the Earth and Moon.

4. Can a projectile reach the Moon from Earth's surface?

Yes, a projectile can reach the Moon from Earth's surface if it has enough initial velocity and is launched at the right angle. However, due to the Earth's atmosphere and gravity, most projectiles launched from Earth's surface do not have enough speed to reach the Moon.

5. How does the distance between Earth and Moon affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The distance between Earth and Moon does not significantly affect the trajectory of a projectile, as long as the projectile is launched directly towards the Moon. However, if the projectile is launched at an angle, the distance between Earth and Moon may impact the amount of time and fuel needed to reach the Moon.