Projectile horizontal motion Question

In summary: Thank you very much for your help.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the horizontal distance a ball would travel before reaching its peak height after being thrown with an initial vertical velocity of 5.0m/s and a horizontal velocity of 25.0m/s. The equation vf = vi + at is used to solve for the time it takes the ball to reach its peak height, and this value is then multiplied by the horizontal velocity to find the horizontal distance traveled. It is also mentioned that the trajectory of the ball is symmetrical, so the total horizontal distance traveled would be twice the distance at the peak height, resulting in a total of 25.6m. The conversation also briefly touches upon using the equation y-y
blaxican707

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown into the air with an initial vertical velocity of 5.0m/s in addition to its horizontal velocity of 25.0m/s, how far would the ball travel horizontally before it reached it's peak?

Homework Equations

vf = vi + at

I've also tried vf = 1/2g +at

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, this is where I made numerous attempts, but this one seems to be more logical.

vf = vi + at

0 = 5.0m/s + (-9.8m/s^2)t

I put the vi for the inital velocity for vertical, then I inputed -9.8 because of the velocity being countered by the gravitational pull.

then I rearange to -9.8m/s^2 by itself by doing

0 + (9.8m/s^2)t = 5.0m/s

then i divide both sides by 9.8m/s^2, looking like this

[tex]\frac{9.8m/s^2}{9.8m/s^2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{5.0m/s}{9.8m/s^2}[/tex]

which would then leave me with t = .51 seconds

with that i would multiply that by the horizontal distance, looking like

.51 seconds x 25m/s = 12.8m

since 12m is the distance, i divide that by 2, giving me 6.4m reaching its peak.

If this is too hard to read, my bad, I'm not use to inputting equations on a board. Thanks for the help in advance. And was this format correct according to the sticky posted in this forum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A ball is thrown into the air with an initial vertical velocity of 25.0m/s in addition to its vertical velocity of 5.0m/s, how far would the ball travel horizontally before it reached it's peak?

You have two vertical velocities?!? Which is supposed to be the horizontal one? I need to know that first.

my bad, the 5.0m/s is the vertical velocity and the 25.0m/s is the horizontal velocity!

with that i would multiply that by the horizontal distance, looking like
.51 seconds x 25m/s = 12.8m
You mean horizontal velocity, right?
since 12m is the distance, i divide that by 2, giving me 6.4m reaching its peak.
You don't need to divide by two here. When you found t by saying the vertical velocity (vf) is zero (this is at the peak height), you essentially did this, since this is the halfway point of the ball's trajectory. Does that make sense?

And was this format correct according to the sticky posted in this forum?

Your post was neatly done. :smile:

I've also tried vf = 1/2g +at

This equation is wrong. Where did you get it?

hage567 said:
You mean horizontal velocity, right?

You don't need to divide by two here. When you found t by saying the vertical velocity (vf) is zero (this is at the peak height), you essentially did this, since this is the halfway point of the ball's trajectory. Does that make sense?

Your post was neatly done. :smile:

This equation is wrong. Where did you get it?

Yes horizontal velocity. So the ball reached its horizontal peak at 12.8m? I thought it was 6.4 because I had originally thought that 12.8m was the total distance the ball had traveled until it hit the ground. -9.8m/s^2 in the equation had already gave me the vertical peak correct?

I looked at my notebook and wrote down the wrong formula :(

If you think of the trajectory of the ball, the vertical velocity will be zero (momentarily) at the peak height.
Since you used vf = vi - at, and set vf =0 and solved for t what you found was the time for the ball to get to the peak height. Since the trajectory is symmetric here, this is equal to half the horizontal distance.

Another way you could have done it is to have used [tex]y - y_0 = v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

where y - y0 is the vertical displacement.

Here, set the vertical displacement equal to zero, since the ball returns to the ground. Solve this one for t. What do you notice? If you put this value for t into your equation for the horizontal distance, what do you get? This is where you would need to divide by two.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra4

Hope that helps.

hage567 said:
If you think of the trajectory of the ball, the vertical velocity will be zero (momentarily) at the peak height.
Since you used vf = vi - at, and set vf =0 and solved for t what you found was the time for the ball to get to the peak height. Since the trajectory is symmetric here, this is equal to half the horizontal distance.

Another way you could have done it is to have used [tex]y - y_0 = v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2[/tex]

where y - y0 is the vertical displacement.

Here, set the vertical displacement equal to zero, since the ball returns to the ground. Solve this one for t. What do you notice? If you put this value for t into your equation for the horizontal distance, what do you get? This is where you would need to divide by two.

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra4

Hope that helps.

I'm trying to solve that equation right now... kinda of confusing.

But back to the original post - ok so if the ball reached it's peak at a horizontal distance of 12.8m, then if the trajectory of the ball is symetrical, the ball traveled 25.6m when it hit the ground - correct?

blaxican707 said:
I'm trying to solve that equation right now... kinda of confusing.

But back to the original post - ok so if the ball reached it's peak at a horizontal distance of 12.8m, then if the trajectory of the ball is symetrical, the ball traveled 25.6m when it hit the ground - correct?

Yes this looks correct. If the ball reached its vertical peak (neglecting air resistance this coincides with its midpoint) at a horizontal distance of 12.8m, then the total horizontal distance is 25.6.

Saladsamurai said:
Yes this looks correct. If the ball reached its vertical peak (neglecting air resistance this coincides with its midpoint) at a horizontal distance of 12.8m, then the total horizontal distance is 25.6.

ok great, I was looking at this as common sense - but then agian this is physics and did'nt think that this answer would be that simple.

I appreciate the help:smile:

1. What is projectile horizontal motion?

Projectile horizontal motion is the motion of an object that is launched horizontally with an initial velocity and then moves in a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is characterized by a constant horizontal velocity and a changing vertical velocity due to the acceleration of gravity.

2. How is the horizontal motion of a projectile affected by air resistance?

In the absence of air resistance, the horizontal motion of a projectile is not affected and it will continue with a constant velocity. However, in the presence of air resistance, the projectile will experience a force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down and decrease its range.

3. What is the formula for calculating the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile?

The formula for calculating the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile is d = v0 * t, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time of flight.

4. Can the horizontal velocity of a projectile change during its motion?

No, the horizontal velocity of a projectile remains constant throughout its motion, as long as there is no external force acting on it. This is because there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction, so the velocity remains constant.

5. How does the angle of projection affect the horizontal motion of a projectile?

The angle of projection affects the horizontal motion of a projectile by determining its initial velocity in the horizontal direction. A higher projection angle will result in a higher initial velocity and a longer range, while a lower projection angle will result in a lower initial velocity and a shorter range.