Solve for Projectile Motion: Maximum Altitude, Time of Flight, and Range

In summary, a rocket is launched at an angle of 57.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 96 m/s. It moves for 3.00 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 30.0 m/s^2. After its engines fail, it proceeds to move as a free body. To find the maximum altitude reached by the rocket, the formula for horizontal range is used and a value of 120.8117 m is obtained. Then, using the formula for horizontal range with that value, the total time of flight is determined. It is also noted that during the first 3 seconds, the motion is linear and then the rocket proceeds as a projectile.
Kildars
A rocket is launched at an angle of 57.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 96 m/s. It moves for 3.00 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 30.0 m/s^2. At this time its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a free body.

(a) Find the maximum altitude reached by the rocket.
m
(b) Find its total time of flight.
s
(c) Find its horizontal range.
m

I tried finding \Delta X using

\Delta X = Vo^2/g2sin(theta)

I got 120.8117 for X

then i plugged it in Delta X = Vo X sin 2a / g

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

my message is too short so i am typing this to make it longer.

Kildars,

Go back and look at the formula's I gave you on the first problem with the cliff. They should be all you need.

Max altitude is when y velocity is zero. Total flight time is when y location is zero. That will give you the flight time, plug that time into the x location formula and you are done.

Bernie

I think it's a little trickier than that. Kilders, here's a hint: during the first 3 seconds, the motion is linear (what can you deduce from that?), and then the rocket proceeds as a projectile (the final velocity of the linear motion is the initial velocity of the projectile).

Hope this helps. Ask if you need further clarification.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched at an angle. It follows a curved path, known as a parabola, due to the downward force of gravity.

How do you solve for maximum altitude in projectile motion?

To solve for maximum altitude, use the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum altitude, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the known values and solve for h.

What is the formula for time of flight in projectile motion?

The formula for time of flight is t = 2v0sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the known values and solve for t.

What is the range in projectile motion?

The range in projectile motion is the horizontal distance traveled by the object before it hits the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = v02sin2θ/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the known values and solve for R.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. However, for most everyday situations, the effect of air resistance is minimal and can be ignored in calculations. In situations where air resistance is significant, more complex equations and calculations are needed to accurately predict the motion of the object.