Calculating Projectile Motion Time and Distance with Angle 37 Degrees

In summary, the problem involves a projectile being shot from a cliff with an initial speed of 105 m/s at an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal. To find the time it takes for the projectile to hit the ground, the initial velocity must be split into horizontal and vertical components. The vertical component can be used to find the time of flight by setting up a motion equation with the known values of initial velocity, acceleration, and final position. The horizontal component can then be used to find the distance by using the same motion equation with the known values of initial velocity, acceleration, and time. The vector components can be found using right-triangle trigonometry.
Drey0287
A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 125 m above ground level with an initial speed of 105 m/s at an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal. What is the time it takes the projectile to hit the ground? How far from the base of the cliff does it land?

Now my major problem is that I don't know how to set up the motion equation using the 37 degrees...help! I've done the problem before and I turned it in and it was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Split the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components. Use the vertical component to find the time of flight. Let's assume that you define up as positive and down as negative: you'll know the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the final position (-125 m). From that, you can find the time.

Once you have that, use the horizontal component to find the distance: you'll have the initial velocity, the acceleration (which should be obvious), and the time.

figure out the x and y components then then put it into the equation d=v1t+1/2at^2

but how do I find the vector components,...im so confused!

Use right-triangle trigonometry. Sketch a right triangle with the hypotenuse as the initial velocity - the 105 m/s. Remember, then, that the sine of an angle is the opposite leg divided by the hypotenuse and the cosine is the adjacent leg over the hypotenuse.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile can be calculated using the equation t = 2v₀sinθ/g, where t is the time of flight, v₀ is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the force of gravity.

4. Can the time of flight for a projectile be changed?

Yes, the time of flight for a projectile can be changed by altering the initial velocity or angle of launch. It can also be affected by air resistance and other external factors.

5. How does increasing the angle of launch affect the time of flight for a projectile?

Increasing the angle of launch will result in a longer time of flight for a projectile. This is because the initial velocity in the vertical direction will decrease, causing the projectile to spend more time in the air before falling back to the ground.