Projectile motion arrow question

In summary: So the bug gets knocked off the tree with a horizontal velocity of 1.15 m/s. In summary, the bug is knocked off a tree by a fish that spat out a projectile with an initial velocity of 4.5 cos(60) and 4.5 sin(60). The bug has a horizontal velocity of 1.15 m/s and the fish has to swim 0.94 m from its spitting position to catch the bug as it hits the water.
Lalasushi
projectile motion question...please help

hi peeps, I am reviewing the projectile motion stuff and for some reason I am finding this question really tricky so can anyone take me through this question or at least give me a hand?

The archer fish spits down a prey from overhanging foliage. If the inital velocity of the spit is u = 4.6m/s at an angle of 60 degrees to the surface of the water.
1. What is the height of a bug at the top of the trajectory?
2. How long has the bug got to escape the impending spittle?
3. The bug gets knocked off its branch with a horizontal velocity of 1.15m/s.Given that the horizontal dist. from the spitting position to the branch 0.94m, how far must the fish swim from its spoitting position to catch the fish as soon as it hits the water.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it first of all helps to understand what the hell this fish is doing. For that the following link should be helpful... http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/verts/archer_fish.htm

You then have to note that the question is making the assumption that the bug will be at the highest point of the trajectory of the spit.

Once you have these two bits of information the problem should be very simple. Much liking working out any other problem in which a ball say is thrown in the air.

Hope this will set you on the right trackl,

H_man

:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should know the equations for the horizontal and vertical components of position for a given acceleration (here vertical acc is -9.18 m/s2 and horizontal is 0), and given initial velocity (here the vertical component is 4.5cos(60) and the horizontal component is 4.5 sin(60)). The "vertical" equation is quadratic and its maximum can be found by completing the square.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does projectile motion affect an arrow?

Projectile motion affects an arrow in the same way it affects any other object. The arrow will follow a parabolic path as it is launched and then falls to the ground due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of an arrow?

The factors that affect projectile motion of an arrow include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How can I calculate the range of an arrow in projectile motion?

The range of an arrow in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can an arrow change its trajectory during projectile motion?

Yes, an arrow's trajectory can be changed during projectile motion by adjusting the initial velocity or the angle of launch. External factors such as wind can also alter the arrow's trajectory.