Projectile Motion of Flying Balloon

In summary, the package is thrown horizontally at a velocity of 4.5 m/s relative to the balloon, which is flying upward at a constant velocity of 6.0 m/s. To calculate the time it takes for the package to hit the ground, the vertical motion of the balloon does not need to be included as the package's initial velocity already has a horizontal component. The package's relative velocity to the balloon can be represented as 4.5 m/s in the horizontal direction and -6.0 m/s in the vertical direction. The problem can be solved using one-dimensional constant acceleration kinematics equations.
transcendental

Homework Statement

A balloon is flying directly upward with a constant velocity of 6.0 m/s. When it reaches 145 m above the ground, a package is thrown horizontally at 4.5 m/s with respect to the balloon.

How many seconds after being launched will the package hit the ground?

Homework Equations

One dimensional constant acceleration kinematics equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the problem mathematically, but my only issue is whether or not to include the vertical velocity (of the balloon) as the vertical component of the package's motion. If I do this then the package's initial velocity would be at an angle. If I don't include the balloon's motion, then the package would have only a horizontal initial velocity.

Is my thinking correct? Do I include the upward motion of the balloon?

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The package's RELATIVE MOTION TO THE BALLOON is said to be horizontal.

Does that answer your question?

So that means when solving the problem, I don't need to include the upward motion, because the horizontal motion of the package is already with respect to the upward moving balloon (the package's initial velocity only has a horizontal component, no vertical). Right?

I think I understand. Thanks

No, no no!

If Vp is package velocity relative to the ground, Vb balloon velocity relative to the ground, and Vrel the package's relative velocity to the balloon, then we have:
[tex]\vec{v}_{p}-\vec{v}_{b}=\vec{v}_{rel}=4.5\vec{i}[/tex]

Related to Projectile Motion of Flying Balloon

1. How does the shape of a balloon affect its projectile motion?

The shape of the balloon can affect its projectile motion by changing its aerodynamics. A more streamlined shape will experience less air resistance and travel farther, while a rounder shape may experience more resistance and travel a shorter distance.

2. Does the amount of air inside the balloon affect its projectile motion?

Yes, the amount of air inside the balloon affects its projectile motion. A balloon with more air will have a larger surface area, resulting in more air resistance and a shorter distance traveled. A balloon with less air will have a smaller surface area and experience less air resistance, allowing it to travel farther.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the projectile motion of a flying balloon?

The angle of launch can greatly affect the projectile motion of a flying balloon. A balloon launched at a higher angle will experience a shorter distance traveled but a higher peak height. A balloon launched at a lower angle will travel farther but have a lower peak height.

4. What role does gravity play in the projectile motion of a flying balloon?

Gravity is a significant factor in the projectile motion of a flying balloon. It pulls the balloon downwards, causing it to follow a curved path known as a parabola. The acceleration due to gravity also affects the speed and distance traveled by the balloon.

5. How does the weight of a balloon affect its projectile motion?

The weight of a balloon can affect its projectile motion by influencing its acceleration and air resistance. A heavier balloon will experience more air resistance and have a shorter distance traveled compared to a lighter balloon. However, the weight of the balloon alone does not determine its projectile motion; other factors such as shape and air resistance also play a role.