Projectile motion over angled edge

In summary, the question involves a lunar rover driving over the edge of a crater with a surface sloping downwards at 30 degrees below the horizontal. The distance down the slope can be found by using trigonometry and solving for the vertical and horizontal distances using the standard constant acceleration equations. The total displacement is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical distances. The answer is approximately 84.3 meters.
Samyuerux
I am having difficulties with this question as no height for the crater is given please help! :)

Homework Statement

AN astronaut is speeding over a level stretch of the Moon's surface at 12m/s in her small lunar rover. She drives over the edge of a crater, whose surface slopes downwards at an angle of 30 degrees below the horizontal.

1) It is known that g = 2m/s^2 on the Moon. How far down the slope (measured from the lip of the crater) will the vehicle land?

2) What is the velocity and speed of the vehicle before landing?

Homework Equations

S(t) = a/2t^2 + V(0)t + S(0), where V = velocity , a = acceleration and s = displacement.
Vf = Vi + at

Thank you for your help!

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think the distance down the slope would be 6.93 Metres but I am not sure if this is right, i used basic trig to work this out, then the rest i can work out myself just need to check that this is right or not!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Samyuerux! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Samyuerux said:
I am having difficulties with this question as no height for the crater is given

The ground is horizontal, then sloping down at 30° …

the projectile starts horizontally, and follows a parabola until it hits the slope …

how far down is that? :wink:

IM not sure how you work it out ?

Last edited:
is it 6.93 Metres?
Fast reply would be great thank you!

Samyuerux said:
is it 6.93 Metres?

i've no idea :confused:

if you want us to check your work, you need to show it! :wink:

Well i set up a basic right angled triangle with the Hyp being the slope downwards at 30 degrees.
The horizontal would then be set at 12.
this gives me a vertical componant that's 6.93, so i presumed that would be the distance but i think that's wrong and there is a more complicated method of finding it out which i don't know about.

no, you need to do standard constant acceleration equations for the x and y directions, separately (against t)

then use y = xtan30° to solve them …

what do you get? :smile:

I think i get you now,
so far i have Sy = t^2 and Sx = 12t
so i think i set Sy = t^2 as xtan30 = t^2

so then i rearrange to get 12 tan 30 = t
so t = 6.93
and then times t by Vx = 83.16 and t by Vy = 13.86
then do pythag to find the total displacement?
which comes out at 84.3
that seems too high...

looks ok :smile:

this is on the moon, remember! :wink:

Samyuerux said:
so t = 6.93
which comes out at 84.3
that seems too high...

Not quite. You have it correct for the [itex]x[/itex] distance ([itex]x = v_x t[/itex]), but the vertical distance [itex]y[/itex] still satisfies the relationship [itex]y = t^2[/itex], and that is what you want to use, since the vertical velocity is not constant in time.

By the way, in the future, please post projectile motion problems in the "Introductory Physics" forum -- believe it or not, it's more likely to get answered there!

Rsin60°=12t
Rcos60°=1/2at2

t=(Rsin60°)/12

Rcos60°=0.5a( (Rsin60°)/12 )2
R=(12.12.cos60°)/sin60°.sin60°
R=96m.

t=6.93sec.

Last edited:
Samyuerux said:
so t = 6.93
which comes out at 84.3
that seems too high...

x=83.16m
y=(1/2)at2=(6.93)2=48.02m

Thanks very much guys got their in the end! :)

1. What is projectile motion over angled edge?

Projectile motion over angled edge is the motion of an object that is projected at an angle over a surface that is not horizontal.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion over angled edge?

The factors that affect projectile motion over angled edge are the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the effects of air resistance.

3. How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory of a projectile over angled edge?

The angle of projection affects the trajectory of a projectile over angled edge by determining the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity. The greater the angle, the higher the object will travel and the shorter the distance it will cover horizontally.

4. How does air resistance impact the motion of a projectile over angled edge?

Air resistance can alter the trajectory of a projectile over angled edge by reducing the horizontal distance it travels and causing it to fall more quickly. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down.

5. How can the equations of motion be used to analyze projectile motion over angled edge?

The equations of motion, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile over angled edge at any given time. By plugging in the known values for initial velocity, angle of projection, and time, the equations can provide valuable information about the projectile's motion.