Projectile Motion of Diver Problem

In summary, using the formulas for 2D motion, we can calculate the time it takes for a diver to return to the same height and the horizontal range she covers in that time. The time is found using the formula t = 2Vy/g and the range is found by multiplying the initial horizontal velocity by the time.
stuart_5
A diver leaves the springboard with a vertical velocity of 5.7m/s, and horizontal velocity of 1.2 m/s, and a height of 3.49m. How long will it take her to return to the same height? What horizontal range will she cover in this time?

Would I use: Time = 2Vvert/g for the first part? And Range = (Vhor)(Time) for the second part?
MY ANSWERS:
1st part --> Time = 1.16 s
2nd part --> Range = 1.4 m

Is this correct? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to solve this qn, perphaps using the formulae for 2D motion will be the easiest.

Since time is the quantity tat u r finding..of course it must be in ur formula.. Given the height to be the 3.49m... for the diver to reach back the same displacement later in the dive, u will need to use the formula [tex] s=ut+1/2gt^2 [/tex] to solve.. the formula for quadratic eqns will get u 2 values for t.. the ans will be the later t.

oh ya.. for the previous post, initial velocity, u, is the initial vertical velocity..

For the 2nd part.. assuming zero air resistance, the horizontal velocity the diver travels will be the initial horizontal velocity times the time u found in (a)

In this case s=0 so the t cancels out and you get the equation
t = 2Vy/g. No need to solve quadratic equations.

Projectile Motion Q...cont.

daniel_i_l: So my work that is shown in my initial post is correct then?

yes, it is

What is projectile motion in the context of the diver problem?

Projectile motion in the diver problem refers to the motion of a diver as they jump off a diving board and enter the water. It is a type of motion that is influenced by both gravity and the initial velocity of the diver.

What factors affect the projectile motion of a diver?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a diver include the initial velocity of the diver, the angle at which they jump off the diving board, the force of gravity, and air resistance.

How can the trajectory of a diver be calculated?

The trajectory of a diver can be calculated using the principles of projectile motion, which involve breaking down the motion into horizontal and vertical components, and using equations such as the range formula and the maximum height formula.

Why is the projectile motion of a diver important to understand?

The understanding of projectile motion in the context of the diver problem is important for ensuring the safety and success of divers in competitions and training. It also helps in the design and construction of diving facilities.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion in the context of diving?

Some real-life applications of projectile motion in diving include calculating the optimal jumping angle for divers to achieve maximum distance or height, predicting the landing spot of a diver in a competition, and understanding the forces acting on a diver during their jump.