Projectile motion question-nothing special.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cart carrying a rocket launcher and launching a rocket while in motion. The questions ask for the rocket's maximum height, the distance traveled by the cart while the rocket is in the air, the angle at which the rocket leaves the cart as seen by an observer on the ground, and the rocket's trajectory as seen by an observer on the cart and on the ground. The solutions involve using equations for constant acceleration and calculating the rocket's velocity and angle. The correct answers are a) 94.8 m, b) 334.2 m, c) 52.67 degrees, d) straight up and down, and e) a parabola.
Crusaderking1
Projectile motion question

Homework Statement

A 5200 kg cart carrying a vertical rocket launcher moves to the right at a constant speed of 33.0 m/s along a horizontal track. It launches a 49.4 kg rocket vertically upward with an initial speed of 43.1 m/s relative to the cart.

a)How high will the rocket go?

b)How far does the cart move while the rocket is in the air?

c)At what angle, relative to the horizontal, is the rocket traveling just as it leaves the cart, as measured by an observer at rest on the ground?

d) What is the rocket's trajectory as seen by an observer stationary on the cart.

the rocket travels in a cycloid
the rocket travels straight up and then straight down
the rocket travels in a parabola

e)What is the rocket's trajectory as seen by an observer stationary on the ground.

Homework Equations

Any constant acceleration equation.

Vo sin theta = Voy
Vo cos theta = Vox

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 0= Voy^2 + 2(-980)(Ymax)
ymax = 94.8 m

Is this right?

b) Then the total distance traveled by the cart, isn't it just 94.8 * 2 =189.6 m?

c) x sin theta = 43.1 m/s
x cos theta =38.0 m/s

theta = 48.59 degrees.

Is this right?

d) Is straight up and down correct, since Vox and Vx are constant with ax=o.

e)Is the parabola correct? I don't know why scientifically, but I'm pretty sure an observer(outside of cart) would see a parabola, since one obviously does occur.

Is this all right or not? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Crusaderking1 said:

Homework Statement

A 5200 kg cart carrying a vertical rocket launcher moves to the right at a constant speed of 33.0 m/s along a horizontal track. It launches a 49.4 kg rocket vertically upward with an initial speed of 43.1 m/s relative to the cart.

a)How high will the rocket go?

b)How far does the cart move while the rocket is in the air?

c)At what angle, relative to the horizontal, is the rocket traveling just as it leaves the cart, as measured by an observer at rest on the ground?

d) What is the rocket's trajectory as seen by an observer stationary on the cart.

e)What is the rocket's trajectory as seen by an observer stationary on the ground.

Homework Equations

Any constant acceleration equation.

Vo sin theta = Voy
Vo cos theta = Vox

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 0= Voy^2 + 2(-980)(Ymax)
ymax = 94.8 m

Is this right?

b) Then the total distance traveled by the cart, isn't it just 94.8 * 2 =189.6 m?

c) x sin theta = 43.1 m/s
x cos theta =38.0 m/s

theta = 48.59 degrees.

Is this right?

d) Is straight up and down correct, since Vox and Vx are constant with ax=o.

e)Is the parabola correct? I don't know why scientifically, but I'm pretty sure an observer(outside of cart) would see a parabola, since one obviously does occur.

Is this all right or not? Thanks.

(a) looks good.

(b) is not appropriate. You know how high it went, you can calculate how long - in time - that took. It has to come down again, so there is some more time.
All that while the cart had been traveling at its constant speed, so will covered a distance determined by its speed and the time.
(c) logical method - if your arithmetic is correct tat should be right.
(d) & (e) both good.

Thanks Peter! I will work on part b tomorrow, I have to sleep now.

I guess I can't do arithmetic!

x sin x = 43.1
x cos x = 38.0

(43.1)^2+(38)^2 =3301.61

sq.root = 57.45963801

43.1/57.4596 = .75009

sin^1(.75009)= 48.598

angle = 48.6 degrees above the horizontal. but wait! its not. I messed up somewhere. Thanks.

Maybe the "above the horizontal" doesn't mean this angle?

Last edited:

Crusaderking1 said:
I guess I can't do arithmetic!

x sin x = 43.1
x cos x = 38.0

(43.1)^2+(38)^2 =3301.61

sq.root = 57.45963801

43.1/57.4596 = .75009

sin^1(.75009)= 48.598

angle = 48.6 degrees above the horizontal. but wait! its not. I messed up somewhere. Thanks.

Maybe the "above the horizontal" doesn't mean this angle?

There is nothing wrong with your original answer to (c) - I just checked it. I couldn't be bothered checking last time as it looked like you had no difficulty. The only possibility was a slip in arithmetic, which there was none.

How about Part (b)

PeterO said:
There is nothing wrong with your original answer to (c) - I just checked it. I couldn't be bothered checking last time as it looked like you had no difficulty. The only possibility was a slip in arithmetic, which there was none.

How about Part (b)

I typed my answer for c into the homework, and it said I was wrong. I received 334.2 m for part B, but was wrong again.

I have two attempts remaining for each now, but I have no idea what went wrong.

Does the observer at rest have anything to do with it?

OMG- so stupid. The Vox is 33.0, not 38.0.

Now I'm depressed..

Thanks Peter.

My new angle is 52.67

My new Vo is 54.2033

and that's right.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is its initial velocity.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the mass of the object, the air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the range equation and the height equation.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In horizontal motion, the object moves only in the horizontal direction, while in vertical motion, the object moves only in the vertical direction. In projectile motion, both horizontal and vertical motions are present simultaneously.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance is a force that acts opposite to the direction of motion, reducing the speed of the object.