1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion skateboarder problem

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skateboarder starts up a 1.0-m-high, 30-degree ramp at a speed of 7.0 m/s. The skateboard wheels roll without friction. How far from the end of the ramp does the skateboarder touch down?

angle = 30 degrees
    vi = 7.0 m/s
    a = -9.8 m/s2
    initial height = 1 m

2. Relevant equations
    y = x*tanθ + ax2/(2*vi^2*cos2θ) [graphs the path of a projectile]

vf=vi+at
    vf2=vi2+2ad
    dy=viyt+.5at2
    dx=vixt

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I graphed the path of the projectile, and since it forms a parabola whose roots are the max distances, I got an answer of 5.65 m. The homework problem is online, so it told me that it was wrong.

Not knowing where I went wrong graphing it, I found the time it spent in the air by plugging into vf2=vi2+2ad, and then plugging vf into vf=vi+at for t0 to the max height. Then I just used the diy= .5at2 equation to find the time form the peak to the ground. The total time I got was .933 seconds. Multiplying this by the horizontal component of his velocity (vi*cosθ = 7.0*cos30 = 6.1) I got 5.69 seconds (probably a little different from my calculator since my calculator ignores significant figures even more than I do). Again, this was wrong.

So I gave up and clicked show answer: 3.78 meters.
    I don't get how my teacher got this answer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you use for the initial speed for the projectile part of the motion? I hope it was not 7 m/s because that's his velocity at the bottom of the ramp. At the top of the ramp, when he is about to take off, his velocity will be less than 7 m/s and you need to calculate what it is.

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    Ah, all the other problems in the set listed vi as the velocity the object becomes airborne with, so I assumed that was the case here as well. Factoring in that negative acceleration up the ramp got me 5.4 m/s leaving the ramp, which got me 3.78 meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook