Projectile motion skateboarder problem

In summary, the problem involves a skateboarder starting at a height of 1.0 meters and a speed of 7.0 m/s on a 30-degree ramp with no friction. The goal is to find the distance from the end of the ramp where the skateboarder will touch down. Using the equations y = x*tanθ + ax2/(2*vi^2*cos2θ), vf=vi+at, vf2=vi2+2ad, dy=viyt+.5at2, and dx=vixt, the solution was initially thought to be 5.65 m, but was found to be wrong. After trying different methods, the correct answer of 3.78 meters was found by
Chiborino

Homework Statement

A skateboarder starts up a 1.0-m-high, 30-degree ramp at a speed of 7.0 m/s. The skateboard wheels roll without friction. How far from the end of the ramp does the skateboarder touch down?

angle = 30 degrees
vi = 7.0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s2
initial height = 1 m

Homework Equations

y = x*tanθ + ax2/(2*vi^2*cos2θ) [graphs the path of a projectile]

vf=vi+at
vf2=vi2+2ad
dy=viyt+.5at2
dx=vixt

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I graphed the path of the projectile, and since it forms a parabola whose roots are the max distances, I got an answer of 5.65 m. The homework problem is online, so it told me that it was wrong.

Not knowing where I went wrong graphing it, I found the time it spent in the air by plugging into vf2=vi2+2ad, and then plugging vf into vf=vi+at for t0 to the max height. Then I just used the diy= .5at2 equation to find the time form the peak to the ground. The total time I got was .933 seconds. Multiplying this by the horizontal component of his velocity (vi*cosθ = 7.0*cos30 = 6.1) I got 5.69 seconds (probably a little different from my calculator since my calculator ignores significant figures even more than I do). Again, this was wrong.

So I gave up and clicked show answer: 3.78 meters.
I don't get how my teacher got this answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for the initial speed for the projectile part of the motion? I hope it was not 7 m/s because that's his velocity at the bottom of the ramp. At the top of the ramp, when he is about to take off, his velocity will be less than 7 m/s and you need to calculate what it is.

Ah, all the other problems in the set listed vi as the velocity the object becomes airborne with, so I assumed that was the case here as well. Factoring in that negative acceleration up the ramp got me 5.4 m/s leaving the ramp, which got me 3.78 meters.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It can be described as the combination of a horizontal motion at a constant speed and a vertical motion due to the force of gravity.

2. How does projectile motion apply to skateboarding?

In the "Projectile motion skateboarder problem", a skateboarder is considered a projectile as they move through the air after launching off a ramp. This problem is used to calculate the maximum height, range, and time of flight of the skateboarder.

3. What are the equations used to solve for projectile motion in this problem?

The equations used are the equations of motion, specifically the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in the x and y directions. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time of flight.

4. What are the key assumptions made in the "Projectile motion skateboarder problem"?

The key assumptions made are that the skateboarder is a point mass, there is no air resistance, and the ramp is frictionless. These assumptions allow for a simplified calculation of the skateboarder's motion.

5. How is the "Projectile motion skateboarder problem" relevant to real-life situations?

The "Projectile motion skateboarder problem" is relevant to real-life situations as it can be applied to any situation where an object is launched into the air, such as a skateboarder doing a trick off a ramp or a ball being thrown. It also helps in understanding the physics behind these motions and can be used in engineering and sports to improve performance.