Projectile Motion: Solving Equations with Air Resistance

In summary, Michael is trying to solve for a projectile's path over a short distance, but air resistance is not taken into account. He gets help from someone, but then forgets the m in the differentated and integrated equation. He gets help again, this time from a more experienced person. Finally, he solves for the path using Newton's second law and finds that air resistance is responsible for the projectile's curved path.
Michaelbk
Hi

Im trying to make an equation for a projectiles path, but this is only over a very short distance, so the projectiles curve aren't taken into account. I am including the air resistance.
This is what i have done:
m*dv/dt=-k*v2 Differential: dv/v2=-k*dt integrated: -1/v=-k*t+C when: t=0 og c=-1/v0 and we get: v=m*v0/(k*v0*t+m)
I have gotten some help doing this, but i am wondering if anyone could tell me if this is right. Another thing is that i seem to have forgotten "m", could anyone please tell me where "m" should be in the differentaded and integrated equation? i have a hard time explaing actually what i have done, but maybe you could help me.
By the way, I am from Denmark so sorry for my bad english.

Thanks
- Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone might be able to tell me where this: m*dv/dt=-k*v2 comes from?

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

Michaelbk said:
m*dv/dt=-k*v2 Differential: dv/v2=-k*dt integrated: -1/v=-k*t+C when: t=0 og c=-1/v0 and we get: v=m*v0/(k*v0*t+m)
I have gotten some help doing this, but i am wondering if anyone could tell me if this is right. Another thing is that i seem to have forgotten "m", could anyone please tell me where "m" should be in the differentaded and integrated equation?

Hi Michael ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(use the X2 tag above the reply field to make v2 :wink:)

(and what's "og"? :confused:)

Yes, that's fine :biggrin:

you lost the m (though somehow you put it back in the right position :rolleyes:) when you went from
m*dv/dt=-k*v2
to
dv/v2=-k*dt,

which should have been mdv/v2=-k*dt. :smile:

Thanks :), i was wondering where this comes from too: m*dv/dt=-k*v2
Oh, and "og" is a danish word for "and", my bad :blushing:

Michaelbk said:
Oh, and "og" is a danish word for "and", my bad :blushing:

:biggrin:
i was wondering where this comes from too: m*dv/dt=-k*v2

ah, i didn't see your second post :redface:

mmm … for me, it usually comes from the question :rolleyes:

if you want to find why air resistance is like that, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page" is always a good place to start. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was meaning the formula m*dv/dt=-k*v2 what's the original formula? or what is it calculated from? i mean dv/dt = a ... so might be F=m*a Newtons second law, but i don't know, i would appreciate some help here :)

Michaelbk said:
I was meaning the formula m*dv/dt=-k*v2 what's the original formula? or what is it calculated from? i mean dv/dt = a ... so might be F=m*a Newtons second law, but i don't know, i would appreciate some help here :)

oh i see! :smile:

yes, it's good ol' Newton's second law :biggrin: … F = ma = mdv/dt …

so if the force is given as -kv2, then that's mdv/dt = -kv2 :wink:

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. :smile:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its initial horizontal velocity and the vertical force of gravity.

2. How do you solve equations for projectile motion with air resistance?

To solve equations for projectile motion with air resistance, you need to use the equations of motion, which include the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance force. You can also use numerical methods or computer simulations to solve these equations.

3. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the air molecules, and it increases with the speed and surface area of the object.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance affects projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing the shape of its trajectory. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its speed and altering its direction.

5. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion calculations?

In most cases, air resistance can be ignored in projectile motion calculations, especially if the object is small and moving at low speeds. However, for objects with significant surface area or high speeds, air resistance should be taken into account to accurately predict the object's trajectory and final position.