Calculating Kinetic Energy, Velocity and Height for a .5kg Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy and velocity of a .5kg ball thrown up in the air and reaching a height of 20 meters. The formula KE=1/2mv^2 is used to solve for the kinetic energy, while the equation v^2=u^2+2as is used to find the initial velocity. The final velocity is calculated using v_y^2=v_{0y}^2-2gΔy with a value of 19.8m/s. The initial velocity is determined to be 0 and the final kinetic energy is calculated to be 98.1.
KatieLynn

Homework Statement

If a .5kg ball is thrown up in the air and reaches a height of 20 meters.
A)What is the ball's Kinetic Energy?
B)What is its initial velocity, as it leaves the thrower's hand?
C)What is its velocity at 16 meters?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so for the first one I'm thinking I need to use KE=1/2mv^2, I have the mass but I need the velocity to solve for the kinetic energy. So then I thought maybe the velocity would just be 0 because it says "as it leaves the thrower's hand" as in the split second when its not moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use v^2=u^2+2as. At max height(which I believe to be 20m) the final speed=0

Last edited:
what do u and s stand for in that equation?

u=initial speed,s=displacement,v=final speed,a=acceleration

Shouldn't it be ... ?

[tex]v_y^2=v_{0y}^2-2g\Delta y[/tex]

LOL, I had this posted till you replied with that mgh thing, and since I don't know that much Physics I was like wow I'm totally off.

Okay here's what I did using that equation...

Vf^2= 0 + 2(9.81)(20m)
Vf=19.8m/s

then KE=1/2mv^2
so 1/2(.5kg)(19.8m/s)^2
KE=98.1

Correct?

Now would B just simply be 0?

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the kinetic energy of a .5kg ball?

To calculate the kinetic energy of a .5kg ball, you can use the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the ball in kilograms and v is the velocity in meters per second. Simply plug in the values and solve for KE.

2. How do I determine the velocity of a .5kg ball?

The velocity of a .5kg ball can be determined by dividing the kinetic energy (KE) by the mass (m) and taking the square root of the result. In other words, v = √(2 * KE / m). This formula can also be rearranged to solve for the velocity if KE and m are known.

3. Can I calculate the height of a .5kg ball using kinetic energy and velocity?

No, the height of a .5kg ball cannot be calculated using only kinetic energy and velocity. In order to calculate the height, you would also need to know the initial vertical velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. These values can be used in the formula h = (v0^2 / 2g) + (v0 * t), where h is the height, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect its kinetic energy, velocity, and height?

The mass of the ball does affect its kinetic energy, velocity, and height. As the mass increases, the kinetic energy and velocity also increase, while the height decreases. This is because the kinetic energy and velocity are directly proportional to the mass, while the height is inversely proportional to the mass.

5. What are the units for kinetic energy, velocity, and height when calculating for a .5kg ball?

The units for kinetic energy are joules (J), velocity is meters per second (m/s), and height is meters (m). It is important to use consistent units when calculating these values to ensure accurate results.