How Can You Rearrange the Projectile Motion Equation to Solve for Time?

• Thread starter mlbmaniaco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the student has a problem with a physics assignment to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation and has sought help from their math teachers. They have received a solution but are struggling to figure out how to get the second t out of the equation. They are now seeking assistance from a physics expert. The equation to solve for t is t = (d - Vi)/(1/2a), which can be obtained by subtracting Vi from both sides, dividing by 1/2a, and taking the square root.
mlbmaniaco
I have a real big problem. My physics teacher has given an extra-credit assignment to my class to figure out. He said we can use whatever we want to figure it out. The problem was to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation (d = Vit + 1/2at2) to solve for t.
So I started out by asking my Math B2 teacher if she knew how to figure it out. After 15 minutes of work she got t = (d/t -vi) 2/a. But she didn't know how to get the second t out of the equation. We both ended up going over to the other math teacher. He got the same thing. Now the three of us are determined to figure out this answer. Can any physics wizard out there help us?
All I need to know is how to rearrange the Projectile Motion equation (d = Vit + 1/2at2) to solve for t. It must be hard if the school's two math teachers can't figure it out, right?

-Puzzled Student

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you are looking for is t = (d - Vi)/(1/2a). To solve this equation, start by subtracting Vi from both sides: d - Vi = Vit + 1/2at2. Then divide both sides by 1/2a to get 2ad - 2Vi = t2. Finally, take the square root of both sides to get t = ±√(2ad - 2Vi).

Dear Puzzled Student,

I understand your frustration with trying to solve this extra-credit problem, but don't worry, there is a solution. I have a strong background in physics and am familiar with projectile motion equations. The key to solving this problem is to remember the basic algebraic principles of isolating a variable. In this case, we want to isolate "t" on one side of the equation.

To rearrange the equation (d = Vit + 1/2at2) to solve for t, we can follow these steps:

1. First, we can subtract Vit from both sides of the equation to get: d - Vit = 1/2at2

2. Next, we can multiply both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction: 2(d - Vit) = at2

3. Then, we can divide both sides by "a" to isolate t: 2(d - Vit) / a = t2

4. Finally, we can take the square root of both sides to solve for t: √(2(d - Vit) / a) = t

Therefore, the final equation to solve for t is: t = √(2(d - Vit) / a)

I hope this helps you and your math teachers solve the problem and earn some extra credit. Remember, always try to think logically and use basic algebraic principles when solving equations. Good luck!

1. What is "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help"?

"Seeks Physics Wizardry Help" is a phrase often used by students or individuals who are seeking assistance with understanding or completing physics-related tasks or problems.

2. Who can provide "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help"?

Anyone with a strong understanding and knowledge of physics can potentially provide "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help". This could include teachers, professors, tutors, or peers who excel in the subject.

3. Is "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help" the same as cheating?

No, seeking help with physics problems or concepts is not the same as cheating. It is important to clarify with your instructor or professor what resources or forms of assistance are allowed for specific assignments or exams.

4. How can I effectively use "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help"?

The best way to effectively use "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help" is to come prepared with specific questions or problems that you are struggling with. This will allow the helper to better assist you and focus on the areas where you need the most help.

5. Are there any resources available for "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help" online?

Yes, there are many online resources available for "Seeks Physics Wizardry Help". These can include study guides, practice problems, video tutorials, and forums where you can ask questions and receive help from others.