Projectile Problem: Find Time of Collision

• Thread starter vivekrai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, a projectile is fired at an angle of 45 degrees with a velocity of 20√2 m/s. A wall inclined at the same angle and 40 m away starts moving towards the projectile at a speed of 20m/s. The time at which the ball collides with the wall can be found using general kinematical equations, and the correct answer is 2(√3-1) seconds.
vivekrai

Homework Statement

http://u.spig.in/forum/105599049.jpg

A projectile is fired at t=0 with velocity v = 20√2 m/s at an angle of 45° degrees as shown. A wall inclined at the same angle and at a distance of 40 m starts moving towards the projectile at the same time (ie., t=0) with a speed of 20m/s. Find the time at which the ball collides with the the wall.

Homework Equations

General Kinematical Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm getting answer as 2(√3-1) s. Strikingly this is very similar to my friend's answer i.e, 2(√2-1) s. I don't know whose one is correct. Help me.

My Solution,

Let the base of the wall has moved a distance 40-x m at the time the ball collides with the wall. Let the height at which the collision occurs is y.
Then we have,
20t = 40-x ... (1) (for wall)
y = 20t-5t2 ... (2) (for ball)
and x+y=20t ... (3) (General diagram and since angle is 45 deg)

Solving for ' t ' , a quadratic I got, t = 2(√3-1) s (Other value being negative)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get your answer.

Thanks for verifying.

Related to Projectile Problem: Find Time of Collision

1. What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air, also known as a projectile. These problems typically involve determining the time, distance, and velocity of the object.

2. How do you solve a projectile problem?

To solve a projectile problem, you will need to use the principles of kinematics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects. The key equations to use are the equations of motion, which include distance, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to consider the effects of gravity on the object's motion.

3. What information do you need to solve a projectile problem?

To solve a projectile problem, you will need to know the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it was launched, and the height at which it was launched. You may also need to consider other factors such as air resistance and the curvature of the Earth's surface, depending on the specific problem.

4. What is the time of collision in a projectile problem?

The time of collision in a projectile problem refers to the time at which the object hits the ground or another surface. This is an important factor to calculate in order to determine the distance and velocity of the object at the point of impact.

5. How can projectile problems be applied in real life?

Projectile problems can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a ball in sports, predicting the path of a rocket launch, or determining the range of a projectile weapon. These types of problems can also be used to analyze the motion of objects in different environments, such as in air or underwater.