Projectiles question: acquiring initial velocity from force+mass

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the initial velocity of a marble launched from a marble launcher with a force of 5N at an angle of 15 degrees. The question is approached by splitting the force into its horizontal and vertical components and using the equation F= m * a to find the initial acceleration. The final step of finding the initial velocities is dependent on the duration of the force acting on the marble.
rootoftwo
Hello, this may be a rather simple question but it's beginning to irritate me: If I were launching a marble of, say, 10g (0.010 kg) from a marble launcher with a force of 5N (tell me if this is realistic or not) at an angle of 15 degrees then how would I go about finding the initial velocity of the marble?

Please tell me if I was taking to this question in the correct manner:
I first split the force F into it's horizontal and vertical components:
Fx=5*cos15
Fx=4.83
Fy=5*sin15
Fy=1.29

I then found, using F= m * a, the initial horizontal and vertical acceleration:
Ax = 483
Ay = 129

This is the point I was truly having trouble with, finding the initial vertical and horizontal velocities:

To do this, I assumed that since the initial velocity are found at the moment all of the force is transferred to the marble:

Vx = Ax
Vy = Ay

Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing a key number which is how long the force acts on the marble. The longer it acts the higher the initial velocity upon launch. That's because acceleration is a=F/m and v = at = Ft/m.

1. How is initial velocity related to force and mass in a projectile?

In a projectile, the initial velocity is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that increasing the force or decreasing the mass will result in a higher initial velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating initial velocity in a projectile?

The formula for calculating initial velocity in a projectile is v = √(2F/m), where v is the initial velocity, F is the force applied, and m is the mass of the object.

3. How does air resistance affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the initial velocity of a projectile by slowing it down. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, which reduces its overall velocity.

4. Can initial velocity be calculated using only the force and mass of a projectile?

Yes, initial velocity can be calculated using only the force and mass of a projectile, as long as there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating initial velocity from force and mass in projectiles?

Calculating initial velocity from force and mass in projectiles is used in various fields such as sports, engineering, and military. In sports, it can help determine the optimal force and trajectory for a projectile, such as a baseball or golf ball. In engineering, it is used in designing and testing projectiles such as rockets and missiles. In the military, it is used in weapons and artillery to accurately hit a target.