1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectiles question: acquiring initial velocity from force+mass

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    Hello, this may be a rather simple question but it's beginning to irritate me: If I were launching a marble of, say, 10g (0.010 kg) from a marble launcher with a force of 5N (tell me if this is realistic or not) at an angle of 15 degrees then how would I go about finding the initial velocity of the marble?

Please tell me if I was taking to this question in the correct manner:
    I first split the force F into it's horizontal and vertical components:
    Fx=5*cos15
    Fx=4.83
    Fy=5*sin15
    Fy=1.29

I then found, using F= m * a, the initial horizontal and vertical acceleration:
    Ax = 483
    Ay = 129

This is the point I was truly having trouble with, finding the initial vertical and horizontal velocities:

To do this, I assumed that since the initial velocity are found at the moment all of the force is transfered to the marble:

Vx = Ax
    Vy = Ay

Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are missing a key number which is how long the force acts on the marble. The longer it acts the higher the initial velocity upon launch. That's because acceleration is a=F/m and v = at = Ft/m.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook