Projector Operator: P^2, Eigenvalues & Eigenfunctions

In summary, we are discussing the definition and properties of an Operator, specifically the Projection operator P. We are trying to determine if P^2 is a Projector operator and what the eigenvalue and eigenfunction of P are. It is clarified that P^2 is not equal to P, therefore it is not a projection operator. The question of whether |-x> can be written as -|x> is raised and it is explained that this is only true for states with odd parity in x. The calculation of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for P is discussed. It is also mentioned that P^2 is a projector and this can be shown using the definition of a projector operator on a Hilbert space.
alphaneutrino
An Operator is defined as P|x> = |-x>,
1. Is P^2 a Projector operator?
2. What are the eigen value and eigen function of P?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try acting again with the operator P

Be careful, P is not a projector operator (P² is not equal to P); the question asks if P² is a projection operator.
alpha, What is the definition of such an operator?

Alphaneutrino, you should state the definition of "projection operator" that you intend to use, and tell us where you get stuck.

CompuChip said:
Be careful, P is not a projector operator (P² is not equal to P); the question asks if P² is a projection operator.
alpha, What is the definition of such an operator?

Thank you Compuchip!
I am asking about P. Yes, I know that P^2|x> = |x> which is not equal to p|x>. So it is not projection operator. My next confusion is can I write
|-x> = -|x> ?

How can we calculate the eigen value and eigen function of P

alphaneutrino said:
Thank you Compuchip!
I am asking about P. Yes, I know that P^2|x> = |x> which is not equal to p|x>. So it is not projection operator. My next confusion is can I write
|-x> = -|x> ?

How can we calculate the eigen value and eigen function of P

what you have there is a parity operator and they have eigenvalues [tex]\pm1[/tex] and the most generic eigenfunctions I can think of are [tex] A(e^{kx} \pm e^{-kx}) ; k \in C [/tex] respectively for the +1 and -1 eigenvalues

|-x>=-|x> only if the states have odd parity in x. Maybe it'd be clearer if you just used say f(-x) and -f(x).

Is |x> supposed to be a position "eigenstate" or an arbitrary state? If it's a position "eigenstate", then -|x> represents a particle located at x, and |-x> a particle located at -x, so these kets can't be the same unless x=0. If |x> is an arbitrary state, then what does |-x> mean?

Well, [itex] P^2 [/itex] is a projector. It can be shown using the definition of a projector operator on a Hilbert space.

1. What is a Projector Operator?

A projector operator is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra. It is an operator that projects a vector onto a subspace, essentially mapping the vector onto a lower dimensional space.

2. What is the significance of P^2 in Projector Operator?

P^2 represents the square of the projector operator. This means that applying the projector operator twice will result in the same vector as applying it once. This is an important property of a projector operator.

3. What are Eigenvalues and Eigenfunctions in the context of Projector Operator?

Eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are terms used in linear algebra to describe the output of a projector operator. Eigenvalues are the scalar values that represent the amount of projection onto a particular subspace, while eigenfunctions are the corresponding vectors that are projected onto the subspace.

4. How are Eigenvalues and Eigenfunctions calculated for a Projector Operator?

To calculate the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for a projector operator, you would need to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the matrix representing the operator. This can be done using various methods, such as diagonalization or the power method.

5. What are some real-world applications of Projector Operator: P^2, Eigenvalues & Eigenfunctions?

Projector operators have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include image processing, data compression, and quantum mechanics. In image processing, projector operators can be used to enhance images by removing noise or blurring. In quantum mechanics, they are used to describe the possible states of a quantum system.