Pronouncing this Norwegian Name

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the name of the chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Ole Danbolt Mjøs, is pronounced as Ooh-le Danbolt Mew-us. A helpful pronunciation guide can be found on the Norwegian Radio website, and it was confirmed by Norwegian reporter Geir Heljesen.
neutrino
Quick question: How do you pronounce the name of the chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee?

Ole Danbolt Mjøs (copied from Wikipedia)

Thanks

----
Do you think there should a thread in GD on pronouncing names? How many times have we had a thread on El Hospital? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Just pronounce it, silly! That's EASY! :smile:

Ooh-le (le as in Leicester)

Danbolt (straightforward)

Mj (as the start of "mew" before the "u"-sound")-øs (pronounce as "us", but with a long vowel)

Streaming Audio from Norwegian Radio (NRK)

http://www.nrk.no/dynasx?p_lenke_id=360848&p_artikkel_id=2566520&mswmext=.asx" (Windows Media) Norwegian Reporter pronounces his name few times...
Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, arildno. I guess I got the first two parts right. :smile:

That's Geir Heljesen speaking, by the way. :smile:

ilbarone said:
http://www.nrk.no/dynasx?p_lenke_id=360848&p_artikkel_id=2566520&mswmext=.asx" (Windows Media) Norwegian Reporter pronounces his name few times...
Hope it helps.

Thanks, it did help. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
That's Geir Heljesen speaking, by the way. :smile:

That's a lesson for another day. :biggrin:

1. How do you properly pronounce a Norwegian name?

The pronunciation of Norwegian names can vary depending on the specific name and regional dialect. However, in general, the vowels in Norwegian are pronounced more similarly to Spanish or Italian, rather than English. It is important to listen to native speakers or use online resources to learn the correct pronunciation.

2. Are there any specific rules for pronouncing Norwegian names?

There are a few general rules to keep in mind when pronouncing Norwegian names. First, the stress is usually placed on the first syllable. Second, the letters "y" and "u" are typically pronounced as "oo" in English. And finally, the letters "g" and "j" are usually pronounced as a soft "y" sound.

3. How do I know if I am pronouncing a Norwegian name correctly?

The best way to know if you are pronouncing a Norwegian name correctly is to listen to native speakers and practice. You can also use online resources or language learning tools to help with pronunciation. It's important to remember that pronunciation can vary depending on the speaker's dialect, so don't worry if you hear different pronunciations.

4. Are there any common mistakes made when pronouncing Norwegian names?

One common mistake when pronouncing Norwegian names is not pronouncing the vowels correctly. As mentioned before, the vowels in Norwegian are pronounced more similarly to Spanish or Italian, so it's important to pay attention to the correct sounds. Another mistake is not stressing the first syllable, which can significantly change the pronunciation of a name.

5. How can I improve my pronunciation of Norwegian names?

The best way to improve your pronunciation of Norwegian names is to practice regularly and listen to native speakers. You can also use online resources or language learning tools to help with pronunciation. It may also be helpful to learn the basic rules and sounds of the Norwegian language to better understand how names are pronounced.