Proof about irrational numbers.

In summary: Then the statement is probably true. But did you prove the statement??Okay tell me if this works. let's assume we have a multiplication of primes to the nth root. (P_1P_2P_3...P_r)^{\frac{1}{n}}=\frac{x}{y} then we take both sides to then power of n and then multiply the y^n over and we get y^n(P_1P_2P_3...P_r)=x^n therefor this implies that x^n is divisible by a prime. so we will now write x=aP
cragar

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex] \sqrt{6} [/itex] is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I just do a proof by contradiction and assume that [itex] \sqrt{6} [/itex] is rational and then get that [itex] 6q^2=p^2 [/itex] which would imply that p is even so I put in p=2r
and then multiply it out. then this would imply that q is also even and this is a contradiction because they would have factors in common. I know I skipped some of the steps. Could I also make an argument that [itex] \sqrt{6} [/itex] is [itex] \sqrt{3}\sqrt{2} [/itex] and then say that an irrational times an irrational is an irrational as long as its not the same irrational.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
Would I just do a proof by contradiction and assume that [itex] \sqrt{6} [/itex] is rational and then get that [itex] 6q^2=p^2 [/itex] which would imply that p is even so I put in p=2r
and then multiply it out. then this would imply that q is also even and this is a contradiction because they would have factors in common. I know I skipped some of the steps.

Sounds good.

Could I also make an argument that [itex] \sqrt{6} [/itex] is [itex] \sqrt{3}\sqrt{2} [/itex] and then say that an irrational times an irrational is an irrational as long as its not the same irrational.

Uuh, that isn't true. There are many counterexamples.

ok thanks for your response. on the second one I can't think of a counterexample off hand. maybe i should think about it more.

cragar said:
ok thanks for your response. on the second one I can't think of a counterexample off hand. maybe i should think about it more.

[itex]\sqrt[3]{4}*\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex]

or

[itex]\sqrt{2}*\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

or

[itex]\sqrt{18}*\sqrt{2}[/itex]

cragar said:

[itex]\sqrt{81} = \sqrt[]{3}\sqrt[]{27}[/itex]

Damn you Micro you're too quick.

ya but all the counterexample have common factors under the radical. I was saying that there, well I was thinking that there were no common factors under the radical.
What if i said a prime number that is square rooted times a different prime that is square rooted will be irrational.

rollcast said:
[itex]\sqrt{81} = \sqrt[]{3}\sqrt[]{27}[/itex]

Damn you Micro you're too quick.

Ya snooze, you lose! :biggrin:

cragar said:
ya but all the counterexample have common factors under the radical. I was saying that there, well I was thinking that there were no common factors under the radical.

Then the statement is probably true. But did you prove the statement??

Okay tell me if this works. let's assume we have a multiplication of primes to the nth root.
and let's assume that it is rational and that they have no common factors .
[itex] (P_1P_2P_3...P_r)^{\frac{1}{n}}=\frac{x}{y}[/itex]
then we take both sides to then power of n and then multiply the y^n over
and we get [itex] y^n(P_1P_2P_3...P_r)=x^n[/itex]
therefor this implies that x^n is divisible by a prime. so we will now write x=aP
and we get that [itex] y^n(P_1P_2P_3...P_r)=(aP)^n[/itex]
and this would imply that y is divisible by some prime in our list. and this would imply that x and y share a common factor which is a contradiction.
not sure if my last line of reasoning is valid.

Last edited:

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. This means that it cannot be written as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places.

2. How do we know that irrational numbers exist?

The existence of irrational numbers was first discovered by the ancient Greeks through geometric proofs. Today, we use mathematical proofs to show the existence of irrational numbers, such as the proof that √2 is irrational.

3. Can irrational numbers be written in decimal form?

Yes, irrational numbers can be written in decimal form, but they will have an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places. For example, π (pi) can be written as 3.14159265358979323846... and it goes on forever without repeating.

4. Are there different types of irrational numbers?

Yes, there are different types of irrational numbers, such as algebraic and transcendental. Algebraic irrational numbers, like √2 and √3, can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients. Transcendental irrational numbers, like π and e, cannot be expressed in this way and are more complex.

5. Why are irrational numbers important in mathematics?

Irrational numbers are important in mathematics because they allow us to describe and understand the world around us more accurately. They are essential in fields like geometry, physics, and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations are needed. They also play a crucial role in the development of mathematical theories and concepts.