1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: c * divergent sequence diverges

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that {a_n} is a divergent sequence of real numbers and c \in R, c <> 0. Prove that {c*a_n} diverges.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I have attempted to solve the problem as a proof by contradiction, but am afraid I am leaving something out. Please confirm my proof is complete or prompt me to add. Thanks!

Proof is by contradiction. Suppose {c*a_n} is convergent. This means that |c*a_n - L| < e, for e > 0. Then there is N \in N such that |a_n - L/c| < e/|c|, n >= N. But this is the definition of limit of a sequence, so a_n converges. But this contradicts our problem statement so, in fact, a_n diverges. End of proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right idea, but it isn't written well. You need to use your observations to write your argument in reverse. Something like this:

Given can [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] L we will show that an [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] L/|c|, which is a contradiction.

Suppose[itex]\ \epsilon > 0[/itex]. Then there is N > 0 such that:

| can - L| < |c|[itex]\epsilon [/itex]

for all n > N. Therefore

|can - L| = |c(an - L/c| = |c||(an - L/c| < |c|[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

which gives, upon dividing that last inequality by |c|, | an - L/c| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]
    for all n > N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook