Proof: every convergent sequence is bounded

In summary: You are agreeing with me. Are you aware that the \forall and \exists logical quantifiers were invented precisely so that we could talk about arbitrary values? It is not the same as talking about a fixed value like 7 or 3.14.Also, the condition that \epsilon > 0 is not the same as saying that \epsilon is greater than every number in the set of real numbers. It would be very odd to say that \epsilon is greater than every number in the set of real numbers since \epsilon is a member of that set. It is also possible to talk about a number that is an upper bound for a set even if the
SpY]

Homework Statement

Prove that every convergent sequence is bounded.

Homework Equations

Definition of [tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} a_n = L [/tex]
[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists k \in \mathbb{R} \; s.t \; \forall n \in \mathbb{N}, n \geq k, \; |a_n - L| < \epsilon [/tex]

Definition of a bounded sequence: A sequence is bounded iff it is bounded above and below, ie. [tex]\exists m \in \mathbb{R} \; s.t. a_n \geq m \; \forall n [/tex] and similarly [tex]a_n \leq M[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
Suppose a sequence [tex]a_n[/tex] converges to some limit L.

Then by definition of the limit [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists k \in \mathbb{R} \; s.t \; \forall n \in \mathbb{N}, n \geq k, \; |a_n - L| < \epsilon [/tex]

Rewriting the absolute value, [tex] L - \epsilon < a_n < L + \epsilon[/tex]

Since [tex]L, \epsilon \in \mathBB{R}[/tex], [tex]L + \epsilon > a_n \; \text{and} L - \epsilon < a_n[/tex]. So the sequence is bounded above and below, hence bounded.

In my lecture notes, the given proof chooses [tex]\epsilon = 1[/tex] but does this affect the proof since [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is arbitrary? It is also written as [tex] \left \{ a_n : n \leq k \right \} \subset (L-1, L+1) [/tex] but my notation is equivalent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SpY];3323571 said:
In my lecture notes, the given proof chooses [tex]\epsilon = 1[/tex] but does this affect the proof since [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is arbitrary? It is also written as [tex] \left \{ a_n : n \leq k \right \} \subset (L-1, L+1) [/tex] but my notation is equivalent?

You can choose any [itex]\epsilon[/itex] you like. The resulting k will be different depending on which [itex]\epsilon[/itex] you choose, but that doesn't matter. All you need is a specific pair of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and k that work.

Yes, these two notations mean the same thing:

[tex]\{a_n : n \geq k\} \subset (L - 1, L + 1)[/tex]

and

[tex]\forall n \in \mathbb{N}, n \geq k, \; |a_n - L| < 1[/tex]

Last edited:
The basic problem with your proof is that you aren't using logical quantifiers properly. In statements about variables, a sentence at the top of the page may say something about [itex] \epsilon [/itex] and later sentence may mention [itex] \epsilon [/itex], but the two [itex] \epsilon [/itex]'s need not have anything to do with each other. Each use of a variable should occur with the "scope" of a certain quantifier.

You go from this statement:
Then by definition of the limit [tex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists k \in \mathbb{R} \; s.t \; \forall n \in \mathbb{N}, n \geq k, \; |a_n - L| < \epsilon [/tex]
To
Rewriting the absolute value, [tex] L - \epsilon < a_n < L + \epsilon[/tex]

Without making it clear that you wish to pick a particular [itex] \epsilon [/itex] from among the possibly thousands of different ones that exist. There is actually a name for this procedure. As I recall, the author Irving Copi called it something like "existential instantiation". It says if we know "there exists" a variable with certain properties, we may introduce a variable that is one particular instance.

You also aren't doing a good job with [itex] n [/itex]. In the definition of bounded the quantifier is "for all" [itex] n [/itex] and in the definition of limit the condition is "for all [itex] n \ge k [/itex]". The two statements are not about the same [itex] n [/itex].

Once you pick a particular [itex] \epsilon [/itex], the definition of limit is going to get you
[tex] L - \epsilon < a_n < L + \epsilon[/tex] for all [itex] n \ge k [/itex] , but not "for all [itex] n [/itex] ".

For example, [itex] L + \epsilon [/itex] doesn't work for a upper bound because for some [itex] j < k [/itex] we can have [itex] a_j > L + \epsilon [/itex]. So you should define [itex] M [/itex] as the larger of: [itex] max \{a_j: j < k \} [/itex] and [itex] L + \epsilon [/itex].

Note that [itex]a_{n}=a_{n}-a+a[/itex], and so that:
[tex]
|a_{n}|\leqslant|a_{n}-a|+|a|
[/tex]
From here, I think that you can show that all convergent sequences are bounded.

Although I don't really see the need to choose an [itex]\epsilon[/itex], I understand why for clarity it makes sense to chose one. I thought that proving that there exists some k for which an is bounded would be sufficient, but I see now one has to consider a set of [itex]{a_n : n < k}[/itex] then use the fact that the union of bounded sets is bounded.

Thanks

This is that quantifier problem. The epsilon interval only gives you a bound for some of the terms.

Also, at some initial point, you must *clearly fix* an epsilon. It's nice to make that concrete, particularly if you have to use it to prove something further down the road, hence choose it to be simply 1.

SpY];3325467 said:
Although I don't really see the need to choose an [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

I agree that it isn't necessary to state a numerical value for [itex] \epsilon [/itex]. It is necessary to state that a specific [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is being chosen, even if it is represented only as a symbol.

If you don't pick a specific [itex]\epsilon[/itex] then what would the expression [itex] L + \epsilon [/itex] stand for? Would we interpret it as an infinite set of numbers formed by adding [itex] L [/itex] to each possible [itex] \epsilon [/itex] ? If we interpret it that way then it's doesn't help us find an upper bound since an upper bound is supposed be a number, not an infinite set of numbers.

Stephen Tashi said:
If you don't pick a specific [itex]\epsilon[/itex] then what would the expression [itex] L + \epsilon [/itex] stand for? Would we interpret it as an infinite set of numbers formed by adding [itex] L [/itex] to each possible [itex] \epsilon [/itex] ?

No. Treat the epsilon as an arbitrary fixed number greater than 0. Similary, you can represent an even number a as a = 2k, where k is an integer. We have a fixed value of k. We don't treat this as all integers k.

gb7nash said:
No. Treat the epsilon as an arbitrary fixed number greater than 0.

"Fixed" is the same as saying that [itex] \epsilon [/itex] has been chosen to be specific.

Related to Proof: every convergent sequence is bounded

What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single finite limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, the terms in a convergent sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as the sequence continues.

How is a sequence considered "bounded"?

A sequence is considered bounded if there exists a number M such that all terms in the sequence are less than or equal to M in absolute value. In other words, the values in a bounded sequence do not become infinitely large or small as the sequence continues.

Why is it important to prove that every convergent sequence is bounded?

Proving that every convergent sequence is bounded is important because it helps to establish the fundamental properties of convergent sequences. It also allows us to make generalizations and apply the concept to various mathematical problems and applications.

How can we prove that every convergent sequence is bounded?

We can prove that every convergent sequence is bounded by using the definition of a limit and the Cauchy criterion. By showing that the terms in the sequence approach a specific limit, we can also determine that the sequence is bounded.

What are some real-world applications of the concept "every convergent sequence is bounded"?

The concept "every convergent sequence is bounded" has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, it is used to calculate the acceleration of objects in motion and to analyze the stability of numerical algorithms used in computer simulations.