Proof for Γ(p+1/2) using Double Factorial and nΓ(n)

In summary, the conversation is about proving a statement for a positive integer p using the equations Γ(p+1/2) = ((2p)!/4^p p!))√π and nΓ(n) = Γ(n+1). The user has tried to solve it for an hour, but has been unable to expand for the correct expression in terms of p. They are allowed to use Euler's reflection formula, but the proofs they have found all use it. Another user suggests using the functional equation and induction to prove the statement.
JKC

Homework Statement

Prove that for a positive integer, p:

https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5859454/I've tried this to little avail for the better part of an hour - I know there's a double factorial somewhere down the line but I've been unable to expand for the correct expression in terms of "p".

Homework Equations

Γ(p+1/2) = ((2p)!/4^p p!))√π

nΓ(n) = Γ(n+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You are required to show us, what you've tried. Are you allowed to use Euler's reflection formula? The proofs I've found all uses it.

fresh_42 said:
You are required to show us, what you've tried. Are you allowed to use Euler's reflection formula? The proofs I've found all uses it.

Yes the reflection formula is allowed. I tried applying it but wasn't able to solve. And sorry but writing out all these wrong workings would have taken quite some time. I will update the OP with some of my notes if there isn't anything when I wake up in a few hours.

You can use ##\Gamma(p+\frac{1}{2}) = \Gamma ((p-\frac{1}{2}) + 1)## and prove it with induction, because the functional equation gives you an expression with ##\Gamma (p-\frac{1}{2})=\Gamma((p-1)+\frac{1}{2})## for which the induction hypothesis applies. The reflection formula gives the induction base ##(p=0)##, and the rest is some algebra with factorials.

Last edited:
Likes JKC

1. What is the Double Factorial function?

The Double Factorial function, denoted by n!!, is a mathematical function that is defined as the product of all positive integers from 1 to n that have the same parity (i.e. either all odd or all even numbers). For example, 5!! = 1 * 3 * 5 = 15.

2. How is the Double Factorial function related to the Gamma function?

The Double Factorial function is related to the Gamma function through its recursive definition. The Gamma function is defined as Γ(n) = (n-1)!, while the Double Factorial function is defined as n!! = n * (n-2)!! for n > 1. This relationship is the key to proving the identity Γ(n+1/2) = √π * n!! / 2^n.

3. What is the significance of proving the identity Γ(p+1/2) = √π * n!! / 2^n?

This identity is significant because it allows us to express the values of the Gamma function at half-integer arguments in terms of the square root of pi and the Double Factorial function. This makes it easier to evaluate and work with these types of values in mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. How is this proof useful in practical applications?

The proof for Γ(p+1/2) using Double Factorial and nΓ(n) has many practical applications, especially in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It allows for a more efficient and accurate computation of values involving the Gamma function at half-integer arguments. These values often appear in various mathematical models and equations, making this proof a valuable tool for solving real-world problems.

5. Are there other methods for proving this identity?

Yes, there are other methods for proving Γ(p+1/2) = √π * n!! / 2^n. Some of these methods include using the Wallis product, the Euler reflection formula, and complex analysis techniques. However, the proof using Double Factorial and nΓ(n) is one of the simplest and most elegant approaches, making it a popular choice among mathematicians and scientists.