1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for induced matrix norm

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1

FOIWATER

Gold Member

Hi, I found a statement without a proof. It seems simple enough, but I am having trouble proving it because I am not positive about induced matrix norms. The statement is that $$||A^k|| \leq||A||^{k}$$ for some matrix A and positive integer k. I have found that the norm of a matrix is the supremum of the norm of Ax over the norm of x, but I do not know to which norms these refer?

I am assuming euclidean norms. Since Ax gives us back a vector and x is itself a vector.

So I have that:
    $$||A^k|| = \sup_{||x||=1}(||A^{k}x|| : ||x||=1)$$
    and
    $$||A||^{k} = \sup_{||x||=1}(||Ax|| : ||x||=1)^{k}$$

Not sure what to do with them, though, any hints appreciated. I was thinking triangle inequality.. but I didn't really get anything from it. And I do not know if the triangle inequality applies to this matrix induced norm (although I think it applies to any operation that qualifies as a norm, since it defines norms).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

What if the x that gives the sup for A^k is not the same as the x that is the sup for A? A acting on any vector will always be less than or equal to its sup.

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

To be more clear...
    Let ##X## be your maximizer for ##\|Ax\|##. Then
    ##\| A^k \| = \| A A A ... A \| = \sup_{\|x\|=1} \left( \| A A A ... Ax \| \right)##
    Let ##x_0 ## be any x such that ##\|x_0 \| = 1##.
    Then you know that ##\|Ax_0\| \leq \|AX\|=\|A\|. ##
    Let ##x_1 = Ax_0##. By similar argument, ##\|A\frac{x_1}{\|x_1\|}\|=\frac{\|Ax_1\|}{\|x_1\|} \leq \|AX\|\implies \|Ax_1\|\leq \|AX\|\|x_1\| \leq \|AX\|\|A\|=\|A\|^2 .##
    And by induction, you can clearly see that no matter what, you won't be able to break the inequality.

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

FOIWATER

Gold Member

∥AX∥=∥A∥ I am not sure of this statement? A times X should give a vector, not a matrix A?

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5

FOIWATER

Gold Member

This actually makes sense now thanks a lot!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  7. Sep 17, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

Right, but I defined ||AX|| to be ||A|| earlier.
    Of course, that is assuming that there is a maximum. You might have to keep the definition of ||A|| as the supremum to be proper...but the logic is the same.

8. Sep 17, 2015 #7

FOIWATER

Gold Member

That's good insight I hope to be able to work my way through problems like that some day

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook