1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving vector spaces and linear transformations

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    1. Suppose V,W are vector spaces over a field F and that T: V ---> W is a linear transformation. Show that for any v belonging to V that T(-v) = -T(v)

2. -T(v) denotes the additive inverse of T(v)

3. I think i'm really overcomplicating it =/ But i have

0v = T( v - v ) = T(v) + T(-v)

Then add -T(v)

0v + -T(v) = T(v) + T(-v)

(T(v) + T(-v)) -T(v) = T(v) + T(-v)

T(-v) = T(v) + T(-v)

then i suppose it could go to

T(-v) = 0v

but that doesn't help i'm going round in circles. Basically i need a starting point.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks more like you need someone to tell you when to stop. :smile:

When you obtain 0=T(v)+T(-v), you're done. If T(-v) has that property, it is the additive inverse of T(v). You should however explain more clearly why T(v+(-v))=0.

Hm, are you allowed to use that 0x=0 for all x without proof? If not, it's easy to prove using the trick 0x=(0+0)x.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

Right so when i get:

0v = T(v) + T(-v)

i just move the T(v) over because 0v=0?

-T(v) = T(-v)

seems a bit too easy! I've already proved 0x=0 .

Can you explain more about

'You should however explain more clearly why T(v+(-v))=0.'

please =]
  5. Jan 28, 2009 #4
    You shouldn't need to move anything over, you know that 0v = 0, therefore at the step where you have T(v) + T(-v) = 0 that means T(-v) is the additive inverse of T(v), remember what definition of additive inverse is!
  6. Jan 28, 2009 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if I can tell you anything new without giving you the complete solution. What you want to prove is that T(v)+T(-v)=0. And the proof of that goes like this:

Can you fill in the missing steps?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?