Proof of Cauchy Integral Formula

In summary: Res}(f(z),z_0)Substituting the value of the residue, we get:\oint_{\gamma} \, \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}\,dz= 2\pi i \, f'(z_0)We can further simplify this by noting that on the curve \gamma, we can write z=z_0+ \delta \, e^{i\theta}. Therefore, dz=i\delta e^{i\theta}\,d\theta and the integral becomes:\oint_{\gamma} \, \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}\,dz=\lim_{\delta \,
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
I want to prove the Cauchy integral formula :

[tex] \oint_{\gamma} \, \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}\,dz= 2\pi i f(z_0) [/tex]

[tex]\text{so we will integrate along a circle that contains the pole .}[/tex]

[tex]|z-z_0|= \delta \,\text{ which is a circle centered at the pole and has a radius }\delta\,\,[/tex]

[tex] z =z_0+\delta e^{i\theta }\,\, so \,\,dz =i\delta e^{i\theta }\,d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\text{We will make the radius as small as possible to contain the pole . }[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\delta \, \to 0 } \, \oint_{0}^{2\pi} \, \frac{f(z_0 + \delta \, e^{i\theta })\cdot i\delta e^{i\theta } }{z_0+ \delta \, e^{i\theta }-z_0}\,d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\delta \, \to 0 }\, \oint_{0}^{2\pi} \, \frac{f(z_0 + \delta \, e^{i\theta })\cdot i\delta e^{i\theta } }{\delta \, e^{i\theta }}\,d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\delta \, \to 0 }\,i \oint_{0}^{2\pi} \,f(z_0 + \delta \, e^{i\theta }) \,d\theta[/tex][tex]i \oint_{0}^{2\pi} \,f(z_0) \,d\theta[/tex]

[tex]if(z_0) \oint_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta=2\pi i f(z_0)\text{ W.R.T}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
z_0Hello! Thank you for your interest in proving the Cauchy integral formula. I am always excited to see individuals taking an interest in understanding and proving mathematical concepts.

The Cauchy integral formula is an important result in complex analysis that relates the values of a function inside a closed curve to its values on the curve itself. It is often used in the evaluation of complex integrals and has many applications in physics and engineering.

In order to prove the Cauchy integral formula, we will use the concept of residues. The residue of a function at a point is defined as the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around that point. In simpler terms, it is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Taylor series expansion of the function around that point.

Now, let's consider the function f(z) and a closed curve \gamma that contains the point z_0. According to the Cauchy integral theorem, we have:

\oint_{\gamma} \, \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}\,dz= 2\pi i \, \text{Res}(f(z),z_0)

where \text{Res}(f(z),z_0) is the residue of the function f(z) at the point z_0.

Since our goal is to prove the Cauchy integral formula, we will take a closer look at the residue of the function f(z) at the point z_0. As mentioned earlier, the residue is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Taylor series expansion of the function around that point. So, we can write the Taylor series expansion of f(z) around z_0 as:

f(z)=f(z_0)+f'(z_0)(z-z_0)+\frac{f''(z_0)}{2!}(z-z_0)^2+...

The coefficient of (z-z_0)^{-1} in this expansion is given by \frac{f'(z_0)}{1!}. Therefore, the residue of f(z) at z_0 is \text{Res}(f(z),z_0)=f'(z_0).

Now, using the Cauchy integral theorem, we have:

\oint_{\gamma} \, \frac{f(z)}{z-z_0}\,dz

Related to Proof of Cauchy Integral Formula

What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the value of a holomorphic function inside a closed curve to the values of the function on the boundary of the curve. It is named after the mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy.

What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is significant because it allows us to calculate complex integrals using only the values of the function on the boundary of the curve. This makes it a powerful tool in solving problems in complex analysis and has applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics.

How is the Cauchy Integral Formula derived?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is derived using the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, which states that if a function is holomorphic in a simply connected region, then the integral of the function over any closed curve in that region is equal to 0. By applying this theorem and using the Cauchy Integral Theorem, we can derive the Cauchy Integral Formula.

What is the difference between the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy Residue Theorem are both fundamental theorems in complex analysis, but they have different applications. The Cauchy Integral Formula is used to calculate complex integrals, while the Cauchy Residue Theorem is used to calculate the coefficients of a Laurent series expansion of a function. The Cauchy Residue Theorem is a consequence of the Cauchy Integral Formula.

What are some applications of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is often used to solve problems involving complex integrals, such as calculating the work done by a force field in physics or calculating the flow of a fluid in engineering. It is also used in the study of conformal mapping and in the proof of other theorems in complex analysis.