1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Divergence Formula in Spherical Coordinates

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    Hello - I'm supposed to derive the divergence formula for spherical coordinates by carrying out the surface integrals of the surface of the volume in the figure (the figure is a piece of a sphere similar to a box but with curves). The radial coord is r. The polar angle is [tex]\varphi[/tex] and the azimuthal angle is [tex]\theta[/tex].

The divergence formula is easy enought to look up: DIV(F) = [tex]\nabla\bullet[/tex]F =

[tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}r^{2}F_{r}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{rsin\varphi}\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}\left( sin\varphi F_{\varphi}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{rsin\varphi}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial F_{\theta}}{\partial\theta}[/tex]

And the volume of the little piece of a sphere is easy enough:
    [tex]r^{2}sin\varphi \Delta r \Delta\varphi\Delta\theta[/tex]

But when I try to set up the limits for each side as the volume goes to zero I never end up with the first and second [tex]sin\varphi[/tex] in the equation. Supposedly I'm supposed to multiply by a [tex]sin\theta[/tex] but I don't see why.

What I end up with is:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}F_{r}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}\left( F_{\varphi}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{rsin\varphi}[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial F_{\theta}}{\partial\theta}[/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is polar angle different from azimuth angle?
  4. Nov 19, 2007 #3
    Phi is the angle in the page, and the theta is the angle out of the page.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?