1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Electric Dipole Equations

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electric dipole of moment p is placed at a distance r from a point charge +q. The angle between p and r is phi. Show that the energy of interaction between the dipole and the charge is -pqcos(phi)/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]0r^2

Derive equations for

a)a radial force on the dipole
    b)a force on the dipole normal to r
    c)a couple on the dipole

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have proved the first part of the question using the integral of the torque between [tex]\phi[/tex]0 and [tex]\varphi[/tex] and setting [tex]\varphi[/tex]0 to 90degrees and I believe that questions a, b and c are simple manipulations of the proved equation, but no book I read will give me a proof or an explanation of the 'radial force' and how to prove questions a, b and c could anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    So you have found the work, or I guess energy of interaction, done to bring the charge to where it is.

a) How would you find the radial force on a monopole? (Hint: potential)
    b) Similar idea to a), but different dot product
    c) No idea what this means, sorry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?