Proof of Electric Dipole Equations

In summary, the energy of interaction between an electric dipole and a point charge is given by -pqcos(phi)/4\pi\epsilon0r^2. To derive equations for the radial force, normal force, and couple on the dipole, one can use the integral of the torque between \phi0 and \varphi and set \varphi0 to 90 degrees. To find the radial force, one can use the potential and for the normal force, a different dot product can be used. The meaning of a couple on the dipole is unclear.
Cheetox

Homework Statement

An electric dipole of moment p is placed at a distance r from a point charge +q. The angle between p and r is phi. Show that the energy of interaction between the dipole and the charge is -pqcos(phi)/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]0r^2

Derive equations for

a)a radial force on the dipole
b)a force on the dipole normal to r
c)a couple on the dipole

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proved the first part of the question using the integral of the torque between [tex]\phi[/tex]0 and [tex]\varphi[/tex] and setting [tex]\varphi[/tex]0 to 90degrees and I believe that questions a, b and c are simple manipulations of the proved equation, but no book I read will give me a proof or an explanation of the 'radial force' and how to prove questions a, b and c could anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have found the work, or I guess energy of interaction, done to bring the charge to where it is.

a) How would you find the radial force on a monopole? (Hint: potential)
b) Similar idea to a), but different dot product
c) No idea what this means, sorry.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges, separated by a distance, which create an electric field.

2. What are the equations for calculating the electric dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment is equal to the charge multiplied by the distance between the charges (p = qd). In vector form, it is represented as p = qd, where p is the dipole moment, q is the charge, and d is the distance between the charges.

3. How is the electric dipole moment related to the electric field?

The electric dipole moment is directly proportional to the electric field, with the proportionality constant being the distance between the charges. This can be represented as p = qE, where p is the dipole moment, q is the charge, and E is the electric field.

4. What is the significance of the electric dipole moment in physics?

The electric dipole moment is an important concept in electromagnetism, as it helps explain the behavior of electric charges and fields. It is used in various applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in understanding the behavior of molecules in chemistry and biology.

5. How is the electric dipole moment different from the magnetic dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment involves charges and electric fields, while the magnetic dipole moment involves currents and magnetic fields. Additionally, the electric dipole moment is a vector quantity, while the magnetic dipole moment is a pseudovector quantity.