Can fractions with common factors be reduced to form neighbor fractions?

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is about proving that the fractions a/b-c/d and a/bd are irreducible, and that the only exception is when z and p are equal to +-1 in the equation x=1/x, which still results in irreducible fractions. The conversation also touches on considering all possible cases and finding a contradiction for the assumption that both fractions are not irreducible at the same time.
chemistry1
proof.jpg

*If I turn out to have a wrong answer, please no hints or showing an valid proof. I want to do it on my own !
ad/bd-bc/bd=+-1/bd is neighbor fraction

Now, reduce the common numbers :

a/b-c/d=+-1/bd

We must now prove that the left hand side has irreductible fractions. Let's see what would happen if these fraction were reductible.

let a=z*y , b=z*l , c=p*m d=p*n

z*y/z*l-p*m/p*n equality to be determined +-1/(z*l)*(p*n)

Reduce:

*ln (y/l-m/n) equality to be determined (+-1/(z*l)*(p*n))*ln

yn-lm equality to be determined +-1/z*p

yn-lm not= +-1/z*p

We have considered the initial fractions to be reductible and have arrived at a false result. An integer cannot be equal to (+-1/z*p)

So, the initial fractions must be irreductible.

*Of course, I'm considering the variables to represents integers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see a shorter way, but your approach is possible, with two caveats:

Currently, you are showing that at least one of the fractions has to be irreducible. Do you want to show that both have to be irreducible?

chemistry1 said:
We have considered the initial fractions to be reductible and have arrived at a false result. An integer cannot be equal to (+-1/z*p)
It can, in a special case (that does not change the main result, but you have to consider this case).

Wait, what do you mean I considered only one case ? I tried to consider two factorizable fractions at the sametime...

Also, for the special case you were talking about, I did notice that there was an exception but I rejected it, didn't think it would have great consequence. Is it the following? :

x=1/x
If we were to obtain a result where x=-1, or 1 (I don't know how we could obtain such result) then this would create an equality, if such result was possible. But this would be the only exception.

chemistry1 said:
Wait, what do you mean I considered only one case ? I tried to consider two factorizable fractions at the sametime...
You found a contradiction for the assumption that both fractions are not irreducible at the same time, indeed. This does not rule out the case of 1 irreducible and one reducible fraction.

Also, for the special case you were talking about, I did notice that there was an exception but I rejected it, didn't think it would have great consequence. Is it the following? :

x=1/x
If we were to obtain a result where x=-1, or 1 (I don't know how we could obtain such result) then this would create an equality, if such result was possible. But this would be the only exception.
z and p equal to +-1 is indeed this exception, but this exception corresponds to irreducible fractions, so it's fine (as long as you consider it in this way).

mfb said:
You found a contradiction for the assumption that both fractions are not irreducible at the same time, indeed. This does not rule out the case of 1 irreducible and one reducible fraction.

z and p equal to +-1 is indeed this exception, but this exception corresponds to irreducible fractions, so it's fine (as long as you consider it in this way).
Ah ok, then I'll post here my new finding when I create the other part of the proof.

I just didn't follow the following :
but this exception corresponds to irreducible fractions, so it's fine (as long as you consider it in this way)

Could you rephrase ? (I'm tired, so maybe I'm not reading correctly lol.) From what I've understood what you meant is that this exception could only be achieved if were able to have irreductible fractions be reductible (Which I proved in part wasn't possible and a few numerical examples follow what I'm trying to prove.) Is that what you meant ??

Thank you!

Ok, sorry for being late to respond :

a/b-c/d=+-1/bd

xi/xj-c/d (to be determined) +-1/((xj)*d)

(i/j-c/d(to be determined)+-1/xj*d) * jd

id-jc not equal to +-1/x

except for 1 and -1

The same is done for the second fractions on the left side.

Right.

Likes 1 person

1. What is "Proof of neighbor fractions"?

"Proof of neighbor fractions" is a mathematical concept used in number theory and geometry. It involves proving that two fractions, when converted to their decimal forms, have a repeating pattern of digits that are neighbors in the number line.

2. How is "Proof of neighbor fractions" related to number theory?

"Proof of neighbor fractions" is related to number theory because it involves studying the properties and patterns of rational numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It also uses concepts from algebra, geometry, and calculus to prove the repeating patterns in decimal representations of fractions.

3. Can you give an example of "Proof of neighbor fractions"?

Sure, let's take the fractions 1/7 and 2/7. When converted to decimal form, 1/7 becomes 0.142857... and 2/7 becomes 0.285714... Notice how the repeating pattern of digits 142857 and 285714 are neighbors on the number line. This can be proven using mathematical equations and proofs.

4. Why is "Proof of neighbor fractions" important?

"Proof of neighbor fractions" is important because it helps us understand the underlying patterns and relationships between numbers. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, where understanding the properties of fractions and decimal representations is crucial.

5. How is "Proof of neighbor fractions" used in real life?

As mentioned, "Proof of neighbor fractions" has applications in cryptography, but it also has uses in fields such as engineering, computer science, and finance. It can also be used to solve certain math problems and to better understand the behavior of numbers in the decimal system.