Proof of non-singularity of triple matrix product

In summary, the triple matrix product is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying three matrices together. The product is represented as A*B*C, where A, B, and C are matrices. A triple matrix product is non-singular if its determinant is non-zero, meaning it is invertible and has a unique solution. Proving the non-singularity of a triple matrix product is important for ensuring unique solutions and invertibility in mathematical and scientific applications. Methods for proving non-singularity include calculating the determinant using the rule of Sarrus or Laplace expansion, and using Gaussian elimination to transform the product into an upper triangular matrix. In special cases where all three matrices are square and have the same dimensions, the product is always non-singular
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]A\in \mathbb{R}^{n\times n}[/itex] is symmetric positive definite, and therefore non-singular. Let [itex]M\in\mathbb{R}^{m\times n}[/itex]. Show that the matrix [itex]M^T A M[/itex] is non-singular if and only if the columns of [itex]M[/itex] are linearly independent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have:

If the column vectors of [itex]M[/itex] are linearly independent, then since [itex]M^T AM= col(m_i^T A m_i)_{i=1:n}[/itex], and [itex]A[/itex] is SPD, the columns of [itex]M^T A M[/itex] are all independent non-zero vectors. Thus it is non-singular.

In the other direction, if [itex]M^T A M[/itex] is non-singular, then it's column vectors must be linearly independent. Since its columns are all [itex]col(m_i^T A m_i)_{i=1:n}[/itex], the non-singularity of [itex]M^T A M[/itex] implies they are all linearly independent of each other, which can only be true if the [itex]m_i[/itex] are linearly independent of each other.

Does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is correct. The key point here is that a matrix M^T A M is non-singular if and only if its columns are linearly independent. This is because a non-singular matrix has full rank, meaning that its columns span the entire vector space. Therefore, if the columns are not linearly independent, there would be redundant information and the matrix would not have full rank. On the other hand, if the columns are linearly independent, they span the entire vector space and the matrix has full rank.

Your explanation of how the columns of M^T A M are related to the columns of M is also clear and concise. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the triple matrix product?

The triple matrix product is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying three matrices together. It is represented as A*B*C, where A, B, and C are matrices.

2. How do you know if a triple matrix product is non-singular?

A triple matrix product is non-singular if its determinant is non-zero. This means that the product is invertible and has a unique solution.

3. Why is it important to prove the non-singularity of a triple matrix product?

Proving the non-singularity of a triple matrix product is important because it ensures that the product has a unique solution and can be inverted. This is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications.

4. What are some methods for proving the non-singularity of a triple matrix product?

One method is to calculate the determinant of the product using the rule of Sarrus or the Laplace expansion. Another method is to use Gaussian elimination to transform the product into an upper triangular matrix and then calculate the determinant.

5. Are there any special cases where the triple matrix product is always non-singular?

Yes, if all three matrices are square and have the same dimensions, the product is always non-singular regardless of the entries in the matrices. This is known as the triple matrix product property.