Proving Twice Differentiability at a Point for a Function of Two Variables

In summary, we are trying to prove that the function f(x,y) = x * 3^(x+y^2) is differentiable twice at the point P(1,0). To do this, we use the definition of a partial derivative and show that the limit exists for both f_x and f_y at this point. We can easily write out the difference quotient using the fact that xe^(x+y^2) = xe^xe^(y^2). We then need to show that the limit exists for all points inside a sphere with a radius epsilon. Since f is an elementary function defined in all of \mathbb{R}^2, any point inside the epsilon circle would fit the criteria and therefore, the
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

Given [itex]f(x,y) = x\cdot 3^{x+y^2} [/itex]. Prove that f is differentiable twice at the point P(1,0).

Homework Equations

[itex]D\subset\mathbb{R}^2, f\colon D\to\mathbb{R}, P\in \mathring{D}[/itex](interior point) - then f is differentiable n+1 times at P[itex]\Leftrightarrow \exists\varepsilon > 0\colon[/itex] in the sphere [itex]B(P,\varepsilon)[/itex] there are defined n-th degree partial derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to use the definition of a partial derivative [itex]f_x := \lim_{t\to 0}\frac{f(P_x + t, P_y) - f(P_x,P_y)}{t}[/itex] if the limit exists (either in R or +/- infinity).
How can I check if the limit exists for any and all points inside a sphere? I want to give an epsilon and show that every point in the sphere with radius epsilon has a final limit for both fx and fy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried actually writing out the difference quotient for that particular f? Using the fact that [itex]xe^{x+ y^2}= xe^xe^{y^2}[/itex] that should be easy.

[itex]f_x = 3^{y^2} \lim_{t\to 0} \frac{(x+t)3^x3^t - x3^x}{t} [/itex]. This is all kid's play, but how does this help me in determining whether fx is defined for every point in the epsilon-sphere?

If the limit exists for any x (that is to say, that any fx is defined in its domain), would it be enough to show that all of the (x,y) in my epsilon sphere (a circle actually) belong to the domain of the function?

Since f is an elementary function that is defined in all of [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]. Therefore any point in the epsilon circle (I keep calling it sphere :/ ) would fit the bill no problem. Would this explanation be sufficient?

Last edited:

Related to Proving Twice Differentiability at a Point for a Function of Two Variables

What is "Proof of differentiability"?

"Proof of differentiability" is a mathematical concept used to determine whether or not a function is differentiable at a specific point. It involves using mathematical techniques to analyze the behavior of a function near that point.

Why is "Proof of differentiability" important?

Understanding the differentiability of a function is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the rate of change of a function at a specific point and make predictions about the behavior of the function.

How is "Proof of differentiability" different from "Proof of continuity"?

While both concepts involve analyzing the behavior of a function at a specific point, the main difference is that continuity focuses on the behavior of a function as a whole, while differentiability focuses on the behavior of a function at a specific point. In other words, a function can be continuous but not differentiable at a certain point.

What are some common techniques used in "Proof of differentiability"?

Some common techniques used in "Proof of differentiability" include the definition of differentiability, the limit definition of the derivative, the use of the mean value theorem, and the use of the chain rule and product rule.

What are some applications of "Proof of differentiability" in real-world scenarios?

"Proof of differentiability" has many practical applications, such as in physics for calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects, in economics for analyzing the marginal cost and revenue of a business, and in engineering for optimizing the design of structures and systems.