Proof that a limit does not exist with delta-epsilon definition

In summary, the limit does not exist because delta = 1 would seem to work because f(x) = 1/x increases without bounds on (0,1).
vertciel
Hello there,

I would like to learn how I can use the formal definition of a limit to prove that a limit does not exist. Unfortunately, my textbook (by Salas) does not offer any worked examples involving the following type of limit so I am not sure what to do. I write below that delta = 1 would seem to work because f(x) = 1/x increases without bounds on (0,1].

Thank you for your help.

---

Homework Statement

[tex] \begin{align}
& \text{Prove that }\underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{1}{x}\text{ does not exist}\text{.}

\end{align}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]>\begin{align}
& \text{I know that I must negate the limit definition, as such:} \\
& \forall \text{L,}\exists \varepsilon \text{0 st }\delta \text{0, }\left| x-c \right|<\delta \Rightarrow \left| f(x)-L \right|\ge \varepsilon \\
& \text{Also, I believe that if I take }\delta =1,\text{ this value will help me with the above}\text{.} \\
& \text{However, how would I go about doing this? }
\end{align}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You made errors in your negation (both semantic and typographical):

[tex]
\forall L : \exists \epsilon > 0 : \forall \delta > 0 : \exists x : \left(0 < \left|x-c\right| < \delta\right) \,\, \wedge \,\, \left( \left| f(x) - L \right| > \epsilon\right)[/tex]

Thank you for your response, Hurkyl.

However, how would I show with an assumed delta value that the above limit does not exist?

Well, I was hoping that you'd notice that delta is universally quantified ("for all"), so that it's insufficient to assume it's one particular value.

However, since it is universally quantified, it is certainly true that if the limit does not exist, then the following statement is also true:
[tex]
\forall L : \exists \epsilon > 0 : \exists x : \left(0 < \left|x-0\right| < 1\right) \,\, \wedge \,\, \left( \left| \frac{1}{x} - L \right| > \epsilon\right)
[/tex]​
But two things:
. I can't effectively help you prove this statement if I have no idea what you've done on the problem and where specifically you're stuck
. I want to re-emphasize that if we prove this statement, we have not yet proven the limit does not exist.

(However, trying to work through this special case before tackling the full problem might be a good idea)

Thanks for your response, Hurkyl.

Proof that [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x} [/tex] does not exist:

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^{-}} \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{0^{-}} = -\infty [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0^{+}} \frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{0^{+}} = \infty [/tex]

Since the right- and left-sided limits differ and do not exist in the first place, [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x} [/tex] does not exist.

As to my original problem, I simply do not know whether to start the proof that the above limit does not exist.

However, would I set epsilon to an arbitrary vallue and show that no delta can "reflect" this range on [tex] f(x) = \frac{1}{x} [/tex]? If so, how would I do this?

1. What is the delta-epsilon definition of a limit?

The delta-epsilon definition of a limit is a mathematical concept used to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. It states that a limit exists if for any given value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding value of delta (δ) such that when the distance between the input and the limit point is less than δ, the output is within ε of the limit point.

2. How do you prove that a limit does not exist using the delta-epsilon definition?

To prove that a limit does not exist using the delta-epsilon definition, you must show that for any given value of epsilon, there does not exist a corresponding value of delta that satisfies the definition. This can be done by finding two sequences that approach the limit point, but have different limit values, or by showing that the function has a jump or discontinuity at the limit point.

3. What is the importance of using the delta-epsilon definition to prove a limit does not exist?

The delta-epsilon definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way to determine the existence of a limit. It eliminates any ambiguity or subjectivity in the proof and ensures that the limit is truly non-existent, rather than just being undefined or indeterminate.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point but not exist at that point?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point, but not exist at that point. This occurs when the function approaches a certain value as the input approaches the limit point, but the function is either undefined or has a different value at the limit point.

5. Are there certain types of functions that are more likely to have non-existent limits?

Yes, functions with discontinuities, such as jump discontinuities or infinite discontinuities, are more likely to have non-existent limits. Additionally, oscillating or highly oscillatory functions may also have non-existent limits.