Proof that the sum of complex roots are 0

In summary: I don't know how to go about solving it.In summary, the student is trying to find a way to solve a problem involving the sum of complex roots, but is stuck.
Seydlitz

Homework Statement

Hello guys,

I need to prove that the sum of complex roots are 0.

In the Boas book, it is actually written 'show that the sum of the n nth roots of any complex number is 0.' I believe it's equivalent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to obtain this summation. It is in fact a big series.

$$
\sum_{k=0}^{n} ( \cos (\frac{\theta + 2 \pi k}{n}) + i \sin (\frac{\theta + 2 \pi k}{n}) )$$

Note that there should be the radius value, but because it's constant I just omit it from the series.

My problem is currently showing that the cosine and sine function sums up to 0. If ##n=2## it is simple to see because then we can have two cosines with opposing signs and the sum will be 0. (Because of ##\pi## shift in the periodicity). The same goes to the sine function.

However if n is arbitrary, i don't see direct way to get 0. Is there any useful identity or method with summing trigonometric function?

I realized that this problem is actually very simple if we are to use algebraic approach, because there's no ##z## so the roots must sum to 0. But I've spent several hours on this approach, I really want to finish it if possible.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Seydlitz said:

Homework Statement

Hello guys,

I need to prove that the sum of complex roots are 0.

In the Boas book, it is actually written 'show that the sum of the n nth roots of any complex number is 0.' I believe it's equivalent.

The Attempt at a Solution

$$
\sum_{k=0}^{n} ( \cos (\frac{\theta + 2 \pi k}{n}) + i \sin (\frac{\theta + 2 \pi k}{n}) )$$

Note that there should be the radius value, but because it's constant I just omit it from the series.

My problem is currently showing that the cosine and sine function sums up to 0. If ##n=2## it is simple to see because then we can have two cosines with opposing signs and the sum will be 0. (Because of ##\pi## shift in the periodicity). The same goes to the sine function.

However if n is arbitrary, i don't see direct way to get 0. Is there any useful identity or method with summing trigonometric function?

I realized that this problem is actually very simple if we are to use algebraic approach, because there's no ##z## so the roots must sum to 0. But I've spent several hours on this approach, I really want to finish it if possible.

Thank You

Why not try an exponential notation approach? It becomes a geometric series that sums very easily.

Seydlitz said:

$$
Your limits are incorrect. For example, this sums over three roots of z1/2, and in general over n+1 roots of z1/n.

Even after correcting the limits, this is the hard way to approach your proof. Try following Curious3141's advice.

If you add 2π to θ, your sum is unchanged. But in the complex plane, adding 2π to θ corresponds to rotating each term in the sum by 2π/n about the origin. So for n>1 you have a geometrical figure (set of points) whose center of mass is unchanged when you rotate the figure about the origin in a nontrivial way.

All the nth complex roots of any number z are z1/n times the complex roots of 1.

All of the complex roots of 1 are solutions to this equation:

$$x^n - 1 = 0$$

Recall that given a polynomial equation such as [itex]ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0[/itex] with roots [itex]z_0, z_1, z_2[/itex], then
$$z_0z_1z_2 = \frac{d}{a}$$
$$z_0z_1 + z_0z_2 + z_1z_2 = \frac{c}{a}$$
$$z_0 + z_1 + z_2 = \frac{b}{a}$$

And so on for other degree polynomials.

Returning to our original equation [itex]x^n - 1 = 0[/itex], we see that the product of its roots is -1 but the sum of its roots and also the sum of combinations of products following the rule shown above is 0.

Hope it helps. I wanted to do it in a slightly more elegant method than to sum them all up using trigonometry and calculus concepts.

Curious3141 said:
Why not try an exponential notation approach? It becomes a geometric series that sums very easily.

I almost cried. Yes, I did try it once you tell me and I got the proof in just like 30 seconds. Thanks. I got so fixated with the trigonometrical function that I forget almost everything else.

D H said:
Your limits are incorrect. For example, this sums over three roots of z1/2, and in general over n+1 roots of z1/n.

Even after correcting the limits, this is the hard way to approach your proof. Try following Curious3141's advice.

I realized that but then the third root would be ##2\pi## anyway.

I followed his advice finally.

bcrowell said:
If you add 2π to θ, your sum is unchanged. But in the complex plane, adding 2π to θ corresponds to rotating each term in the sum by 2π/n about the origin. So for n>1 you have a geometrical figure (set of points) whose center of mass is unchanged when you rotate the figure about the origin in a nontrivial way.

I understand the figures, and I think it's quite straightforward. I just can't find the way to relate its geometric property into finding the proof until now.

hyrum said:
Hope it helps. I wanted to do it in a slightly more elegant method than to sum them all up using trigonometry and calculus concepts.

Thanks for your help hyrum but I already stated in op that I wanted to try the trigonometric approach instead. Nevertheless I think to know how the root is related to the original equation is very useful, I'll brush up my knowledge on that so that I don't get caught off guard like this in the future.

Related to Proof that the sum of complex roots are 0

1. What is the proof that the sum of complex roots are 0?

The proof is based on the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that the number of complex roots of a polynomial equation is equal to its degree. Since the sum of all roots, including complex roots, must equal the negative of the coefficient of the second highest degree term, it follows that the sum of complex roots must be 0.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this proof?

Consider the polynomial equation x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0. The sum of all roots, including complex roots, must equal -5, which is the negative of the coefficient of the x term. The roots of this equation are -2 and -3, which are both real numbers. However, the equation could also be written as (x + 2i)(x + 3i) = 0, where i is the imaginary unit. In this form, it is clear that the sum of the complex roots is 0, as (2i + 3i) = 5i, and -5i + 5i = 0.

3. How does this proof apply to higher degree polynomial equations?

The proof applies to polynomial equations of any degree, as long as all the coefficients are real numbers. This is because the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra holds true for all polynomial equations, regardless of their degree.

4. Is the converse of this proof also true?

No, the converse of this proof is not true. This means that if the sum of complex roots of a polynomial equation is 0, it does not necessarily mean that all the coefficients are real numbers. For example, the equation x^2 + (2i + 3)x + 6 = 0 has complex roots with a sum of 0, but the coefficient of the x term is not a real number.

5. How does this proof relate to the properties of complex numbers?

This proof is based on the properties of complex numbers, specifically the fact that complex numbers can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The proof uses the property that the sum of two complex numbers can be found by adding their real and imaginary parts separately. It also relies on the fact that the complex conjugate of a complex number a + bi is a - bi, which is important in finding the roots of a polynomial equation.