Proof Using General principle of math induction

In summary, to prove n!>2^n for all n>=4, we can use induction and show that for n=4, the statement is true. Then, assuming it is true for some k>=4, we can show that (k+1)!>=2^(k+1) by using the induction hypothesis and simplifying the expression. This allows us to conclude that the statement is true for all n>=4.
kolley

Homework Statement

prove n!>2^n for all n>=4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I showed it was true for n=1.

assume k!>2^k for all k>=4
then show it for k+1. (k+1)!>=2^(k+1)
=k!*(k+1)>=2*2^k
I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I showed it was true for n=1.

But your base case is n=4!

Simplify 2*2k

sorry, i meant for n=4

kolley said:
assume k!>2^k for all k>=4
then show it for k+1. (k+1)!>=2^(k+1)
=k!*(k+1)>=2*2^k

This is what you need to show: (k+1)!>=2^(k+1).
In your next line, though, you are tacitly assuming that this is true. Also, don't connect one inequality to another with = as you are doing here:
(k+1)!>=2^(k+1)
=k!*(k+1)>=2*2^k

You have (k + 1)! = k! * (k + 1) = ? Here's where you use your induction hypothesis (i.e., k! >= 2^k).

I guess the factorial is what is throwing me off, I don't know how to use a chain of inequalities that will lead me to something that I can directly compare to 2^k+1 because I don't know how to take the factorial into account or get rid of it.

Use (k+1)! = (k+1) k! and apply the induction hypothesis

Related to Proof Using General principle of math induction

1. What is the general principle of mathematical induction?

The general principle of mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It is based on the idea that if a statement is true for the first natural number and if it can be shown that whenever it is true for any arbitrary natural number it must also be true for the next natural number, then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

2. How is mathematical induction used in proofs?

Mathematical induction is used in proofs by following these steps: 1) Prove the statement is true for the first natural number, usually 1. 2) Assume the statement is true for an arbitrary natural number, let's say k. 3) Use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next natural number, k+1. 4) Repeat this process for all natural numbers, thereby proving the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. What types of statements can be proved using mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can be used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as properties of sequences, sums, products, and divisibility. It can also be used to prove statements about algebraic expressions and equations.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove statements about real numbers?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers. This is because the principle of mathematical induction relies on the concept of a "next" natural number, which does not exist for real numbers. However, if a statement can be rephrased as a statement about natural numbers, then mathematical induction can be used to prove it.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematical induction in proofs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using mathematical induction in proofs. It can only be used to prove statements about natural numbers and cannot be used for statements about real numbers. In addition, it may not be the most efficient or intuitive proof technique for certain statements, and there may be other methods that are more suitable.