How can Taylor series be used to prove a difference involving logarithms?

In summary, the problem is asking if t > 1 then log(t) - \int^{t+1}_{t}log(x) dx differs from -\frac{t}{2} by less than \frac{t^2}{6}. Using substitution, I find that the taylor series for log(1+x) at the point 0 is \sum (-1)^{n+1}x^{n}/n beginning at n=1. So, for any t > 1, I need to show that log(t) - \int^{t+1}_{t}log(x)dx differs from -\frac{t}{2} by less than \frac{t
jj1986

Homework Statement

Prove if t > 1 then log(t) - [tex]\int^{t+1}_{t}[/tex]log(x) dx differs from -[tex]\frac{t}{2}[/tex] by less than [tex]\frac{t^2}{6}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Hint: Work out the integral using Taylor series for log(1+x) at the point 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using substitution I get:
[tex]\int^{t+1}_{t}[/tex]log(x) dx = [tex]\int^{t}_{t-1}[/tex]log(u+1) du

The taylor series for log(1+x) = [tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)[tex]^{n+1}[/tex]x[tex]^{n}[/tex]/n beginning at n=1.

So
[tex]\int^{t}_{t-1}[/tex]log(u+1) du = [tex]\sum[/tex] (-1)[tex]^{n+1}[/tex]u[tex]^{n+1}[/tex]/[(n)(n+1)][tex]^{t}_{t-1}[/tex] beginning at n=1.

I'm still not sure how to prove what the problem statement is asking me to prove. I see that the first term of the series is multiplied by 1/2 and the second term is multiplied by 1/6 and 1 degree higher so I'm sure that needs to be used somehow, I just don't see how exactly. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem is stated correctly? log(x) can be integrated by parts (or look it up) without using series. Then graph to see if the question even makes sense.

The problem is correct as stated and makes sense. I need to show that for any t > 1

| ( log(t) - [tex]\int^{t+1}_{t}log(x)dx[/tex] ) - [tex]\frac{t}{2}[/tex] | < [tex]\frac{t^2}{6}[/tex]

Graphing it isn't really sufficient proof

False when t=2.

My mistake I misread the problem I need to show that for any t > 1

| ( log(t) - [tex]\int^{t+1}_{t}[/tex]log(x)dx ) - [tex]\frac{1}{2t}[/tex] | < [tex]\frac{1}{6t^{2}}[/tex]

Any suggestions?

Since you are hoping to get t's in the denominator, I would try this. Integrate before converting to series (in spite of the hint). After integrating, then use properties of logs to rearrange (experiment with various ways). Try to get something where you could convert to series. Example: log(t) could be log( 1 + (t-1) ). Right idea, but not good enough, because you want t's in the denominator. So, if you can get log( (t+1)/t ) somehow, then you can write log( 1+ (1/t) ). Finally, apply the series with that. It's worth a try.

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinitely differentiable polynomial. It is used to approximate a function by using its derivatives at a single point. This allows for easier computation and analysis of functions.

2. How is a Taylor series used in proof?

A Taylor series can be used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series, as well as to find the values of limits and derivatives. It is also commonly used in the proof of mathematical theorems and to approximate functions in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are some common applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series are widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some common applications include calculating trajectories in projectile motion, approximating solutions to differential equations, and analyzing the behavior of financial markets.

4. Can a Taylor series be used to prove the convergence of all series?

No, a Taylor series can only be used to prove the convergence of certain series that meet certain criteria. It is important to carefully consider the properties of a series before using a Taylor series to prove convergence.

5. How accurate is a Taylor series approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation depends on how many terms are included in the series. Generally, the more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, for certain functions, the Taylor series may not converge to the actual value, so it is important to carefully consider the function and its domain when using a Taylor series approximation.