Proofs on growth rates of functions theorems using definition of a limit

In summary, the author is trying to prove that if:-f(x)/g(x)<1-there is a constant, c, such that for all x>N0, f(x)<c*g(x)-for every ε>0, there is an N>0 such that for all x>N0, f(x)<ε*g(x)-if the limit is infinity, then f(x)=O(g(x))
ATroelstein
Hello, I am working through some proofs from the following document: Function Definitions

Under Calculation of Big - Oh, some theorems are provided that classify the growth rates of functions in relation to one depending on what the limit is as the input approaches infinity. One proof is provided when the limit is a constant using the definition of a limit, but I'm trying to also prove the others ones, such as when the limit is 0. I came up with the following proof, skipping restating some of the definition that has already been provided in the example proof.

$$
\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} - 0 < \epsilon
$$

$$
\epsilon = 1
$$

$$
\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} - 0 < 1
$$$$
\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} < 1
$$$$
f(x) < 1 * g(x)
$$

Which shows 1 is the constant and N0 is the N that I need to then prove this is correct using the definition of Big Oh. My question is, does my proof flow correctly? Also, are you technically able to pick any positive value for epsilon, or is there a technique involved with selecting this value. Lastly, what would the proof look like if the limit was infinity? I'm confused when I set up the initial part of that proof as the f(x)/g(x) would be minus infinity. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To start, why don't you state the claim that you are trying to prove?

The claim I am trying to prove is that if:

$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 0
$$

Then f(x) = O(g(x)) using the definition of a limit and then using the definition of Big Oh where the definition of Big Oh is:

f(x) = O(g(x)) if and only if there is a constant, c > 0, and an N >= 0, such that for all x > N, f(x) <= c*g(x)

I am assuming we are considering nonnegative functions.

OK, you are right that you can choose c = 1. I did not understand this:
ATroelstein said:
N0 is the N that I need to then prove this is correct using the definition of Big Oh.
I guess $N_0$ comes from the definition of the limit in the case of $\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 0$. Then I agree.

In general, unless you a computer, a proof should not be just a sequence of formulas. It should be a grammatically correct English text that includes phrases like "We must show that," "Suppose," "Therefore," "Set ε = 1," etc.

ATroelstein said:
Also, are you technically able to pick any positive value for epsilon, or is there a technique involved with selecting this value.
Technically, yes, when you have an assumption or a proved claim that starts with "For every ε > 0," you can instantiate ε with any positive number. My calculus teacher used to say, "Let's pick an arbitrarily small ε, for example, ε = 100." Which ε can help move the proof forward depends entirely on the problem.

ATroelstein said:
Lastly, what would the proof look like if the limit was infinity? I'm confused when I set up the initial part of that proof as the f(x)/g(x) would be minus infinity .
For example, if $\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \infty$, then $g(x)=O(f(x))$. Indeed, the assumption says that for every $M>0$ there exists an $N>0$ such that for all $x>N$ it is the case that $f(x)/g(x)>M$. Choose $M = 1$ and get the corresponding $N$; then $g(x)<f(x)/M=f(x)=1\cdot f(x)$ for all $x>N$.

1. What is the definition of a limit in terms of functions?

The definition of a limit in terms of functions states that as the input of a function approaches a certain value, the output of the function approaches a specific value. This is known as the limit of the function.

2. How are growth rates of functions determined using the definition of a limit?

Growth rates of functions can be determined using the definition of a limit by analyzing the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. If the output of the function approaches a specific value, the growth rate is determined to be constant. If the output approaches infinity, the growth rate is considered to be exponential.

3. What are some common theorems used to prove growth rates of functions using the definition of a limit?

Some common theorems used to prove growth rates of functions using the definition of a limit include the Squeeze Theorem, the Monotone Convergence Theorem, and the Sandwich Theorem. These theorems provide a framework for evaluating the limits of functions and determining their growth rates.

4. Can the definition of a limit be used to prove the growth rate of any function?

Yes, the definition of a limit can be used to prove the growth rate of any function. However, it may be more difficult to prove the growth rate of some functions compared to others. Functions that are continuous and well-behaved are typically easier to evaluate using this method.

5. How does understanding the growth rates of functions help in scientific research?

Understanding the growth rates of functions is essential in scientific research as it allows for the prediction and modeling of various phenomena. By determining the growth rate of a function, scientists can make predictions about how a system will behave over time and make informed decisions about experimental design and data analysis.