Propagation of Error and Relative Error

In summary: If you have a trig function and the angle is in degrees, you will need to insert a unit conversion factor of pi radians per 180 degrees each time you integrate or take a derivative.
GoCubs12

Homework Statement

2) A student is performing an angry bird experiment in real life. He calculates the range of the projectile by shooting the bird with a 30 degree angle and an initial velocity of v0 = 20 m/s.

a) If the relative accuracy of setting the projectile angle is delta theta/theta = 0.05, what would be the accuracy of the range estimation?

Homework Equations

delta R= derivative of range equation*delta theta

R=v^2/g*sin(2*theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the derivative of the range equation and got v^2/g*2*cos(2*theta). I then divided this by the original function and got delta x/x=2cot(2*theta)*delta theta. This is the point I am stuck at. Normally with the problems I have done so far I would get to this point and be able to substitute in the given value of delta theta/theta. However, the cot is throwing me for a loop and I just can't to find a way through it and past that point. All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your problem with cotangent? You lost sight of what you are suppose to be looking for but you are on the right track.

gleem said:
What is your problem with cotangent? You lost sight of what you are suppose to be looking for but you are on the right track.

My problem is that if I put theta into the cot and solve the relative accuracy of the angle for delta theta and put that into the equation as well, I get a number over 100% which doesn't seem like it is even remotely correct and I just can't think of any other way to go about it.

What value are you using for dθ?

gleem said:
What value are you using for dθ?

The only value I could think of was to solve dTheta/Theta for dTheta. So the value is really 30*0.05.

That is you problem. Can you figure out why? Think units.

gleem said:
That is you problem. Can you figure out why? Think units.

I know that the answer I am getting currently would be in degrees which is incorrect but I can't seem to find a way to solve for dTheta without it encountering that issue. Is there another way to figure out dTheta?

dθ = .05⋅θ What units should you be using for θ? What other unit for angles is there?

gleem said:
dθ = .05⋅θ What units should you be using for θ? What other unit for angles is there?

Using radians I get a final answer of 0.0302. How do you know you need to use radians instead of degrees though. I know that the answer seems more reasonable now but in the future how can I tell?

GoCubs12 said:
Using radians I get a final answer of 0.0302. How do you know you need to use radians instead of degrees though. I know that the answer seems more reasonable now but in the future how can I tell?
If you take the derivative of a trig function the assumption is that the angle is expressed in radians. In those units, the first derivative of sine is cosine.

If you have a trig function and the angle is in degrees, you will need to insert a unit conversion factor of pi radians per 180 degrees each time you integrate or take a derivative.

It's usually easier to always do the math using radians and to convert the inputs and outputs as required.

GoCubs12 said:

Always use radians. 1 deg = π/180 rad. When looking up values for trig functions where degrees is the specified unit of the table or calculator setting change radians to degrees using 1 rad. = 180/π deg. (verify your calculator setting)

What is the difference between propagation of error and relative error?

Propagation of error refers to the method of calculating the uncertainty in the result of a mathematical operation, taking into account the uncertainties in the measured quantities used in the operation. Relative error, on the other hand, refers to the ratio of the absolute error to the true value of the quantity being measured. Essentially, propagation of error is a method for quantifying uncertainty, while relative error is a measure of accuracy.

How is propagation of error calculated?

Propagation of error is calculated by using the partial derivative of the mathematical operation with respect to each of the measured quantities, multiplying it by the uncertainty in that quantity, and then summing these products. This calculation gives the overall uncertainty in the final result.

What is the significance of relative error?

Relative error is important because it allows us to compare the accuracy of different measurements, regardless of the units or scale of the quantities being measured. It is a standardized measure of accuracy that can be used to determine the quality of experimental results.

What factors can contribute to error in measurements?

There are several factors that can contribute to error in measurements, including instrument limitations, human error, environmental conditions, and uncertainties in the values used in the measurements. It is important to identify and minimize these factors in order to obtain more accurate results.

How can we reduce error in measurements?

There are several ways to reduce error in measurements, including using more precise instruments, increasing the number of measurements taken, and improving experimental techniques. Additionally, performing thorough calibrations and carefully controlling environmental conditions can also help reduce error.