Proper Time Change: Helium 4 Superfluid Effects

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of proper time and its relation to phase changes in helium 4. It was concluded that proper time is an invariant quantity and there is no evidence that a phase change in helium 4 would affect it. The conversation also touched on the effects of gravity on proper time and the possibility of detecting differences in relative time at different heights. However, the concept of relative time was not fully clarified. Overall, it was determined that the change in phase of a superfluid does not affect its relative time and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.
Ripperooster
When helium 4 becomes a super fluid does the proper time change, can this be detected?

Physics news on Phys.org
Proper time is the time measured by a clock traveling with something - so your proper time is measured by your wristwatch. I'm not sure why you think phase changes in helium has anything to do with proper time (and proper time of what? The whole volume of helium? One atom? You?). Can you tell us where you got this idea from?

Likes russ_watters and Ripperooster
My understanding of proper time:
Every point in space is affected differently by time and gravity so has a different relative time, this goes for the 1st floor and the 50th or my toe and my eyebrow.

My question: does the proper time of a substance change the when you change a substance into a superfluid.

I don't know where I got the idea from, but I couldn't find a clear answer, which usually sends me down the rabbit hole..

Ripperooster said:
My understanding of proper time:
Every point in space is affected differently by time and gravity so has a different relative time, this goes for the 1st floor and the 50th or my toe and my eyebrow.
This understanding is not correct. There is nothing such as a unique way of identifying a "point in space" as that would be coordinate dependent. Proper time is an invariant quantity related to a clock following a particular world line.

Proper time is boringly predictable. It ticks by at one second per second - it's a things own measure of its own passage of time, so it cannot be any other way. Where you start to get unusual (to everyday intuition) effects in relativity is when you try to compare two clocks that are not at the same place, or have followed different routes through spacetime. This is not, or at least not solely, to do with proper time (note that the word "proper" has drifted in meaning in English - it's used here in its Latin sense of "one's own", the root of the word property).

There is, at least in principle, a slight difference in the tick rate of a clock sitting in a jar of liquid helium compared to one sitting beside the jar, due to gravitational time dilation from the mass of helium. It's on the order of one part in 1030 (give or take a few orders of magnitude depending on the mass of helium and the distance between the clocks), if my mental arithmetic is right - so one second difference every hundred thousand billion billion years or so (recall the universe is only thirteen billion years old).

I am not aware of any reason why a phase transition would have any effect on an already unmeasurably small difference.

Thank you,

The question came from reading about the effects of bubbles, wall climbing and friction of the super fluid.

I understand the immeasurable diffences of my head and feet but I'm sure differences in relative time have been shown at the top and bottom of a skyscraper.

Can the relative time of a superfluid be proven to be constant though it's change or phase change as you put it.

Ripperooster said:
Can the relative time of a superfluid be proven to be constant though it's change or phase change as you put it.
You started off talking about proper time and now you have switched to relative time. Time relative to WHAT? Do you mean the proper time throughout the life of the material? If so, that question has already been answered.

Ripperooster said:
I understand the immeasurable diffences of my head and feet but I'm sure differences in relative time have been shown at the top and bottom of a skyscraper.
I believe tick rate differences have been measured at height differences as low as 1m, so differences between your head and toes are detectable. But this is the gravitational field of the Earth. My number above is a back-of-the-envelope estimate of the equivalent effect due to the gravity of a jar of liquid helium (or, indeed, a jar of water) and sounds optimistic on reflection. Its gravity just isn't important to anything.
Ripperooster said:
As phinds says, relative to what?

I can't think of a reason why helium would have any relativistic effects that another chunk of matter wouldn't have. Its peculiar properties are a form of self-organising behaviour, at least in my limited understanding, not related to kinematics or gravity.

Ripperooster said:
I don't know where I got the idea from, but I couldn't find a clear answer, which usually sends me down the rabbit hole..
The clear answer is “no”. So you can come on up out of the rabbit hole :smile:

1. What is proper time change in relation to helium 4 superfluid effects?

Proper time change refers to the changes in the flow properties of helium 4 when it transitions into a superfluid state. This includes changes in density, viscosity, and flow rate.

2. How does helium 4 transition into a superfluid state?

Helium 4 transitions into a superfluid state when it is cooled to extremely low temperatures, typically below 2.17 Kelvin. At this temperature, the helium atoms lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity, exhibiting unique quantum properties.

3. What are the main effects of helium 4 superfluidity?

The main effects of helium 4 superfluidity include zero viscosity, zero thermal resistance, and quantized vortices. These properties allow for extremely efficient heat transfer and unique flow behavior, making it useful in various applications such as cryogenics and superconductivity research.

4. How does helium 4 superfluidity impact the study of quantum mechanics?

Helium 4 superfluidity plays a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics, as it allows for the observation and manipulation of quantum phenomena on a macroscopic scale. Its unique properties provide a platform for testing and refining theories in quantum mechanics.

5. What challenges arise in studying helium 4 superfluidity?

One of the main challenges in studying helium 4 superfluidity is achieving and maintaining the extremely low temperatures required for it to manifest. This requires specialized equipment and techniques, such as dilution refrigeration, to cool helium 4 to its superfluid state. Additionally, the behavior of helium 4 in superfluid state can be unpredictable and difficult to control, making experiments and observations challenging.