Soap Bubble Coalescence: Shape and Volume Change

In summary, when two bubbles of different sizes merge, the new bubble will be larger and have a reduced pressure.
Amith2006
Sir,
When two soap bubbles of different radii coalesce, will the newly formed
bubble be spherical in shape? Also will there be a change in volume due to this process?Assume that temperature is constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
Sir,
When two soap bubbles of different radii coalesce, will the newly formed
bubble be spherical in shape? Also will there be a change in volume due to this process?Assume that temperature is constant.
If the two volumes of air within the bubbles combine into an undivided volume surrounded by a soap membrane, then I would say that the bubble has to be spherical (since there is no preferred direction of motion of the molecules in the gas and since the soap bubble assumes the shape which has the smallest area - a sphere).

The volume question is a bit tricky. Since they are at the same temperature, the question is really: how do the pressures of the two separate bubbles compare to the pressure in the combined bubble?

I am not sure but here is my take on it: The pressure inside the bubble is a function of the surface tension of the bubble and the temperature. If temperature is constant, the higher the surface tension, the higher the pressure within the bubble. So if the two bubbles combine to form one bubble, the surface area of the combined bubble is smaller, meaning the membrane is thicker so the soap molecules are not stretched as much as before. Therefore, the surface tension is less than before and the pressure is less, so the volume increases.

AM

thats a great thought problem, and good answer A Mason, what class/book is that from Amith?

Andrew Mason said:
I am not sure but here is my take on it: The pressure inside the bubble is a function of the surface tension of the bubble and the temperature. If temperature is constant, the higher the surface tension, the higher the pressure within the bubble. So if the two bubbles combine to form one bubble, the surface area of the combined bubble is smaller, meaning the membrane is thicker so the soap molecules are not stretched as much as before. Therefore, the surface tension is less than before and the pressure is less, so the volume increases.

AM

Andrew, I think that the pressure inside a soap bubble can be written as a function of the Surface Tension and the radius of the bubble.

A soap bubble has some definite (but very small) thickness and therefore has two layers, one towards the outside air and one towards the enclosed air, and between these layers is the soap solution.

So if the pressure of the air outside is [itex] P_{atm} [/itex] and the pressure in the soap solution between these layers is [itex] P_1 [/itex] and the pressure of the enclosed air is [itex] P_2 [/itex]

[tex] P_1 - P_{atm} = \frac{2S}{R} [/tex]
where R is the radius of the soap bubble and S is the surface tension of the solution. I'm assuming the thickness of the soap bubble is negligible to the radius. So, again,

[tex] P_2- P_1 = \frac{2S}{R} [/tex]

Adding,
[tex] P_2 - P_{atm} = \frac{4S}{R} [/tex].

And the pressure inside is greater than the pressure outside by an amount

[tex] \frac{4S}{R} [/tex]

Also, for the OP's question, my assumption would be the mass of the air inside the two smaller soap bubbles will be conserved, and so the volume of the new, larger bubble will be the sum of the volumes of the two smaller bubbles. Since the radii of the smaller bubbles are known, the radius of the larger one can be found, and from this the pressure inside the new bubble can also be found.

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

1. How does soap bubble coalescence occur?

Soap bubble coalescence occurs when two soap bubbles come into contact and merge together. This happens due to the surface tension of the soap film, which pulls the two bubbles together and causes them to merge.

2. What factors affect the shape and volume change during soap bubble coalescence?

The shape and volume change during soap bubble coalescence is affected by the surface tension of the soap film, the size and shape of the bubbles, and the presence of any external forces such as air currents or gravity.

3. Why do soap bubbles change shape and size when they merge?

When soap bubbles merge, the soap film between the two bubbles combines and stretches to accommodate the larger volume. This stretching causes the shape to change and the volume to increase.

4. How does the rate of coalescence affect the shape and volume change?

The rate of coalescence can affect the shape and volume change by influencing the amount of time the soap film has to stretch and accommodate the merging bubbles. Faster rates of coalescence may result in more drastic changes in shape and volume.

5. What applications does the study of soap bubble coalescence have?

The study of soap bubble coalescence has applications in fields such as materials science, fluid dynamics, and even art. Understanding the mechanics of soap bubble coalescence can lead to advancements in surface tension measurement techniques and the development of new materials with unique properties.