Property lines on the 2d projections

In summary, the author of the book says that enthalpy is a property and all the terms in the above expression are properties. However, if you integrate d(p*v) = v*dp + p*dv, it will be a constant.
nanunath
Hi there...I need ur help on these questions:
1) Can H2O exist as a vapor at -40oc,As a liquid?
Why?
2) What would be the general nature of Constant volume lines on Phase (P-T) diagram?

Both questions are from Engg. Thermodynamics-Moran,Shaprio(Things engg. think abt section)

Also, does anyone know a program (like in Matlab) or a pro-e,etc model for the 3D Phase diagram for any substance(preferably not in the log scale)...I want it to visualize and cut it through various planes...and see the various const. property lines on the 2d projections
Thanx..

something like this...with ability to cut section at desired plane
[PLAIN]http://www.geology.iastate.edu/gccourse/hydro/aspects/images/diagram.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Coolpack/UK/Index.html
During my thermo. class I used CoolPack exclusively - It is a Danish developed application that will draw the diagrams for different fluids. T.s, H.s, Log-P.H etc.
And it IS in English :)

This problem tests basic ability to read a P vs. T phase diagram. Since the state of the substance depends on both temperature and pressure, think about fixing your temperature and then seeing what happens as you alter pressure.

M.D.G said:
This problem tests basic ability to read a P vs. T phase diagram. Since the state of the substance depends on both temperature and pressure, think about fixing your temperature and then seeing what happens as you alter pressure.

Ya...thanks so much
So my ans would be...
It requires use of a more detailed phase diagram...
though I guess approximately by the P-T diagram of book,that it won't exist as a liquid at -40 deg celsius , however high the pressure be(as water expands on freezing);
but can exist as a vapor (Solid-vapor phase change at very low pressures)

Last edited:

Claws said:
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Coolpack/UK/Index.html
During my thermo. class I used CoolPack exclusively - It is a Danish developed application that will draw the diagrams for different fluids. T.s, H.s, Log-P.H etc.
And it IS in English :)

Thanks so much..I'll check it out...

nanunath said:
Ya...thanks so much
So my ans would be...
It requires use of a more detailed phase diagram...
though I guess approximately by the P-T diagram of book,that it won't exist as a liquid at -40 deg celsius , however high the pressure be(as water expands on freezing);
but can exist as a vapor (Solid-vapor phase change at very low pressures)

That was a bad guess ..I discovered after I noted the critical temp and pressure of water...
water could exist as a liquid...and a vapor at -40oC ...I suspect...(without referring to and actual co-ordinate axis labeled Phase diagram..to scale!

hi..I got another doubt..please help me with this friends,
Enthalpy is defined as:
h= u + p*v
u-internal energy
p-pressure (abs)
v-specific volume

Books say :
"Enthalpy is a property as all the terms in the above expression are properties..."

That is:
dh = d [u + (p*v)] = du + d(p*v) ...(I) => Enthalpy is a property

But now, if I write the 2nd term on RHS "d(p*v)" as:

d(p*v)= p*dv + v*dp
Integrating this and interpreting graphically it would mean:
p*dv=>Area under p curve
v*dp=>Area under v curve
Addition of two (actually the 2nd term would be -ve in a normal polytropic process like pvn=Constant which actually leads to the substraction of two rectangular areas above the axes)
The net result I think then would be the integration of d(p*v) would be a constant..graphically atleast...

But how do I arrive at this mathematically...i.e p*dv+v*dp=0
[Is anything wrong with the following few lines:
for a polytropic process
v*dp + (n*p*dv) = 0 ..(a)
and not
v*dp + p*dv = 0 .. (b)
where as graphically it "seems" to be in favor a (b)
So I don't get where I made the mistake...Is writing d(p*v) = v*dp + p*dv valid here..or what else is wrong...

Thanks...
Any help is appreciated..:smile:

Last edited:

nanunath said:
hi..I got another doubt..please help me with this friends,

[Is anything wrong with the following few lines:
for a polytropic process
v*dp + (n*p*dv) = 0 ..(a)
and not
v*dp + p*dv = 0 .. (b)
where as graphically it "seems" to be in favor a (b)
..:

ohh..
Got the mistake...2day
Really I don't believe I get confused to such extents..the above quoted lines r wrong

What are "property lines" on 2D projections?

Property lines on 2D projections refer to the boundaries of a property as depicted on a 2-dimensional map or drawing. These lines indicate the legal limits of a property and are used for property ownership and land use purposes.

How are property lines determined on 2D projections?

Property lines on 2D projections are determined by surveying the land and marking the boundaries with physical markers such as stakes, fences, or walls. These markers are then translated onto a 2D projection, such as a map, to clearly depict the property lines.

Are property lines on 2D projections accurate?

The accuracy of property lines on 2D projections depends on the accuracy of the surveying method and the skill of the surveyor. While efforts are made to ensure accuracy, there may be slight discrepancies between the drawn lines and the actual boundaries on the ground.

What happens if my property lines on a 2D projection differ from my neighbor's?

If there is a discrepancy between your property lines on a 2D projection and your neighbor's, it is best to consult with a professional land surveyor to determine the exact boundaries of your property. Legal disputes over property lines can be settled through a boundary line agreement or by going to court.

Can property lines on 2D projections change over time?

Yes, property lines on 2D projections can change over time due to various factors such as natural disasters, human-made changes to the land, or legal disputes. It is important to regularly check and update property lines to ensure accuracy and avoid potential conflicts with neighbors.