Property of a sequence for a function.

In summary, the problem asks for a formula for the number of functions,number of injective functions,number of increasing functions, and other properties of sequences, but is confusing and part two is unclear.
AkilMAI
Ok so the ideea of the proble is the following.F:A->B...where A={1...k} and B={1...n}.The problme is divided in 2 parts.
The first part of the problem asked me to write in terms of k and n the formulas for the number of functions,number of injective functions,number of increasing functions...etc.I've done that.What I don't understand is part 2 because the description is confusing for me.
Part two states the following:"For each of the type of functions from part a) describe the coresponding property of the sequence {f(1),...,f(k)} for a function f of that type."
Does this mean to show what it means to be a function,then an injective function and an incresing function and so on?
Appologies if this question is ridiculous.

Physics news on Phys.org
AkilMAI said:
Ok so the ideea of the proble is the following.F:A->B...where A={1...k} and B={1...n}.The problme is divided in 2 parts.
The first part of the problem asked me to write in terms of k and n the formulas for the number of functions,number of injective functions,number of increasing functions...etc.I've done that.What I don't understand is part 2 because the description is confusing for me.
Part two states the following:"For each of the type of functions from part a) describe the coresponding property of the sequence {f(1),...,f(k)} for a function f of that type."
Does this mean to show what it means to be a function,then an injective function and an incresing function and so on?
Appologies if this question is ridiculous.

Yes, they're just asking you to say what it means to be injective, increasing, etc. But you must phrase it in such a way to have a statement about {f(1),...,f(k)}.

For example, you could say that f is injective if f(a)=f(b) implies that a=b. But that is not a statement about {f(1),...,f(k)}. The statement we're looking for is that {f(1),...,f(k)} are k distinct values.

Can I say the following?
Let A={1...k} and B={1...n} then a function is defined as:f(A):={f(a)|a belongs to A}
And for injective functions f(a)=F(b) if a=b
or should I just say that f(1)=...=F(k) if 1=...=k

AkilMAI said:
Can I say the following?
Let A={1...k} and B={1...n} then a function is defined as:f(A):={f(a)|a belongs to A}
And for injective functions f(a)=F(b) if a=b
or should I just say that f(1)=...=F(k) if 1=...=k

No, try to say only something about the set {f(1),...,f(k)}. What do you know about this set if f is a function?? Injective?? Increasing??

that 1=f(1),2=f(2)...n=f(k)
f(i)=f(j) where f(1)=<f(i)=<f(j)=<f(k) if i=j 1=<i=<j=<n and
f(1)<f(2)<f(3)...<f(k)...if 1<2...<n
is this correct?

for what is that an answer??

Function: 1=f(1),2=f(2)...n=f(k)
Injective: f(i)=f(j) where f(1)=<f(i)=<f(j)=<f(k) if i=j 1=<i=<j=<n and
Increasing: f(1)<f(2)<f(3)...<f(k)...if 1<2...<n
is this correct?

The function bit is not correct.

If f is a function, what can {f(1),...,f(k)} be?

the range.
Are the other parts ok?

Yes, that seems good.

should I write the function bit like this 1->f(1)...?

that would be better

ok ...thank you

1. What is a sequence in relation to a function?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule. In the context of a function, a sequence is created by inputting different values into the function and recording the corresponding outputs.

2. How do you determine the property of a sequence for a function?

The property of a sequence for a function can be determined by examining the pattern or rule that governs the sequence. This can be done by graphing the function or by looking for a recurring pattern in the sequence of numbers.

3. What are the types of sequences that can exist for a function?

There are several types of sequences that can exist for a function, such as arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and recursive sequences. Each type follows a specific pattern or rule.

4. How does the property of a sequence affect the behavior of a function?

The property of a sequence can greatly impact the behavior of a function. For example, if a sequence is increasing, the function will also have an increasing behavior. Similarly, if a sequence is decreasing, the function will have a decreasing behavior.

5. Can the property of a sequence change for a function?

Yes, the property of a sequence can change for a function. This can happen if the input values or the rule governing the sequence is changed. For example, if an arithmetic sequence changes from adding 2 to adding 3, the property of the sequence will change from linear to quadratic.