Proton Motion in Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a proton moving in a homogenous magnetic field and the calculation of the radius of the helix at which the proton is moving. The equations used in the attempt at a solution involve the mass and speed of the proton, as well as the angle between the helix and magnetic field. However, the poster is unsure of their solution and is seeking assistance. They also mention potential mistakes in spelling and send greetings from Slovenia. The responder questions the use of relativistic equations in the calculation and suggests using the Lorentz force instead.
PZUFIC

Homework Statement

Proton is moving in the homogen magentic field with B=0,1T. Mass of proton is 938MeV/c02.

How much is the radius of helix at which proton is moving, if his speed is 0,99*c0, and the angle between helix and magnetic field is 60°.

Homework Equations

y=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c0^2}}}[/itex]

r=[itex]\frac{m*v*y*sin(α)}{c0^2*B}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve it in relativistic way whith equations that I wrote, but the result is wrong. What I am doing wrong?

I hope the post is ok and sory for potential mistakes in spelling and greetings from Slovenia.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand where you got your equations.

Also, what do you mean "relativistic"? I don't think there should be any gammas anywhere in this calculation: all you use is the Lorentz force [itex]\vec{F}= q \vec{v} \times \vec{B} [/itex].

Related to Proton Motion in Magnetic Field

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that is found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a positive charge and is approximately 1,836 times more massive than an electron.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as protons, and is represented by lines of magnetic flux.

How does a proton behave in a magnetic field?

When a proton enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force called the Lorentz force. This force causes the proton to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field. The speed and radius of the proton's path depend on the strength of the magnetic field.

What is the role of a proton in MRI imaging?

In MRI imaging, protons in the body are aligned with a strong magnetic field. When a radiofrequency pulse is applied, the protons absorb energy and become temporarily misaligned. As they return to their original alignment, they release this energy, which is detected and used to create an image of the body's tissues.

How does the behavior of a proton in a magnetic field relate to the study of electromagnetism?

The behavior of a proton in a magnetic field is a fundamental principle of electromagnetism. It demonstrates the relationship between electricity and magnetism, as well as the concept of charged particles experiencing a force in a magnetic field. This understanding is crucial in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.